Recipes for Polish Forum

Maxell

Recipes for Polish Forum

Post by Maxell » Tue Apr 30, 2013 18:23

Here begins the long weekend in May. If possible, give some tried and good recipes for the grill. I will give the Polish forum.
Thanks in advance
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 02, 2013 12:31

Maxell is my friend Mirek (Miroslaw Gebarowski) in Bełchatów, Poland, where he is a professional firefighter and runs the world`s first School of Home-made Meat Production known as Szkoladomowego Masarstwa . Many of you have the book that he co-authored called, "Polish Sausages: Authentic Recipes and Instructions"... by Stan and Adam Marianski & Miroslaw Gebarowski. Maxell is also a moderator and friend to all members of this site.

Pork provides four types of ribs and all of them are perfect for any barbecue party. "Baby Backs" are those of the center rib section with the loin "end" attached and they are taken from the upper part of the piggy`s rib cage called the "chine", adjacent to the backbone. One domestic rack of baby-backs weighs about two-and-a-half pounds, costs a little more than beef, and feeds only two hungry guests. These slightly more expensive chine ribs created the expression "eating high off the hog".

Mirek, I hope you try my, "pork loin ribs". In the United States, they are called, "baby back ribs". In many countries, a "rack" of ribs is not even sold as an item. Many butchers in England haven`t even heard of them. Yet in other countries, `baby backs` are the first choice of all barbecue items.

Here is my recipe for "Rocky Mountain Wrangler`s Ribs" with glaze and sauce. They are a bit different than ribs found even here in America because unlike other recipes, "Rocky Mountain" style ribs are turned into ham on the bone before they are smoked and finally barbecued. They are generally smothered with a mildly-hot "tangy" sauce. The glaze, rib, and sauce recipes are all included at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

Mirek, a few of our members have tried them. Maybe you will too. If you do, please take some photos and let us know how they turned out. Thank you for your help and assistance on this site. It is greatly appreciated!

Your friend,
Chuckwagon

P.S. * WD members outside of Poland... let's send Mirek some of our favorite barbecue recipes to share with our terrific neighbors! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Recipes for Polish Forum

Post by el Ducko » Thu May 02, 2013 17:24

Maxell wrote:Here begins the long weekend in May. If possible, give some tried and good recipes for the grill. I will give the Polish forum.
Thanks in advance
In return, perhaps you can guide us on how to celebrate this "long weekend in May." We know several Polish people, so we think it must be quite a good party!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri May 17, 2013 04:03

Here are a few of my favorites. I won't give you much specific recommendations because this will limit your creativity and that is what BBQ is all about. Instead I will give some general procedures and if you have any specific questions I'll be glad to answer them if need be. All of these are done using a wood fired hot smoke at 225 - 250F.

Fatties - Fatties may not be good for you and I surely wouldn't make them for the Heart Association but they are delicious. To start with you make some breakfast patty sausage and lay it on a piece of plastic wrap and smush it out like in the picture. You then add cheeses, raw eggs, asparagus, onion, mushrooms, proscuito and whatever else your heart desires.

You then roll it up using the plastic wrap to help get it rolled properly but of course remove the wrap. Once this is done, wrap the log in fresh bacon. Once you've done this, I dust it down with a seasoning salt aka rub, which has a lot of brown sugar in it.

You then stick it in the smoker and when done it will come out looking like this.

Sliced it will look like this.

ABT's - Atomic Buffalo Turds

ABT's are really easy to make and these are treats served to those tending the BBQ pit. If you don't like beer I wouldn't suggest eating one cause we play Russian roulette with these by leaving the seeds in some of the jalapeno peppers. Its fun to watch the face of the person who get a shell in the chamber.

All these are is a jalapeno pepper split in half. Remove some of the seeds - or don't. Fill cavity with cream cheese, lay a mini-sausage in the cream cheese then wrap with bacon and dust with a BBQ rub.

More ABT's and St. Martin Peppers stuffed with boudin.

Then there is the whole hog. I like to inject the hog liberally with Mojo sauce, wipe it down with olive oil, put foil on its ears and snout and drink beer and eat ABT's and Fatties till its done. I find the mojo sauce really compliments the taste of pork. I will have several sauces on the side but for the most part very few people add sauce cause the flavor is just right.

These are some of the things we like to do on long cooking events. Hope it gave you some ideas.
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Fri May 17, 2013 19:21

Thank you very much for your help. :grin:
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri May 17, 2013 20:30

Okay ButterbeanO, you didn`t include your recipe for mojo, so I`m "horning in here on ya". Hope you don`t mind. :mrgreen: If you do, we`ll square off and throw tomatoes at twenty paces - then I`ll buy ya a beer. :wink:

"Monument Valley Mojo"
(Cuban Mojo Sauce)

Mojo (pronounced `mo-ho`) sauce is a Cuban meat sauce with a citrus base and it must contain the Cuban trinity of oregano, cumin, and garlic to be called "authentic". The garlic is toasted until it is amber colored and in Cuba, the traditional souring agent is "naranja agria" (sour orange). In many places this particular "sour naranja" is not available, so folks often substitute a combination of fresh lime and orange juice. Our pal Butterbean is absolutely correct in saying this sauce lends itself particularly well to pork. Here`s how we make it in the west - I`m not sure about the rest of the nation. All I know is our recipe will cause normal cowboys to often "throw fits", jumping onto the dining table, drawing both hoglegs, firing twelve through the ceiling while repeatedly screaming, "Now that`s Mojo". Then without further adieu, he usually bounds through a window and cartwheels down to the corrals, where he skips and runs along the top rungs, before falling into a watering trough! Yup pards, it`s that good.

10 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
3 tblspns. fresh orange juice
2/3 cup of water
1 tspn ground cumin
1 tspn ground oregano
1 tspn. kosher salt
3/4 tspn. freshly ground black pepper
3 tblspns chopped fresh cilantro

Peel and pulverize the garlic before adding it to the heated olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Cook the garlic only until it becomes amber-colored. Further cooking will make it bitter. While the garlic is cooking, combine all the other ingredients except the cilantro. When the garlic is just right, add the combined ingredients to the saucepan and allow the mixture to come to a hard boil. Discontinue the heat and when the boiling stops, add the cilantro. Stir the sauce intermittently and serve it within a few hours time for best flavor.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri May 17, 2013 20:49

Don't mind you horning in at all. Mojo is really good stuff isn't it? The key is the garlic and the juices. Sometimes we even just let the orange juice sit out at room temp to "sour" a little but you don't have to.

Here is a sauce I found very nice for pork. Its not one of my creations but its very good. Its what I'd call a finishing sauce. I like to add it to pork as I pull it but drizzled over chicken or other meat is good too. It sortof enhances the existing flavors.

Deadman's Sauce
3 cups apple cider vinegar
2/3cups brown sugar
2/3cups ketchup
1teaspoon tobasco
1teaspoon salt
1teaspoon onion powder
1teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for about half hour, whisking periodically, until the sauce just begins to thicken. Serve immediately, or reserve in the refrigerator and reheat. Mix with pork as you are pulling.
Last edited by Butterbean on Fri May 17, 2013 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri May 17, 2013 20:53

Yum.... and the addition of the hot sauce is nice too! Thanks for sharing ol' pard.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri May 17, 2013 21:12

We take BBQ very serious here. I have one sauce I'd like to share but the recipe was left to me in a man's Will and I am sworn to only hand it down to someoone of my children in the same manner.

Here is a BBQ Sauce that is really good and really simple. I use this as the base of many of my tomato based sauces then tweek it from there.

1 c. Ketchup
3/4c. brown sugar
1/4c. finely minced onion
1/2t. Liquid smoke
1/4t. garlic powder

Put the onion in a pot with some butter and saute, then add everything else and simmer for a little while.

Its a little sweet but not too sweet. I often add pepper to zing it up some.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri May 17, 2013 22:24

Thanks for posting both those recipes BB, I've copied and printed them both out! The last time I tried making BBQ sauce it came out way too "tomatoee" and I ended up dumping in a bunch of KC and Bullseye to make it workable. I just bought a half dozen bottles of each of them because they were on sale at 99 cents a pop, it goes fast in the summertime. Thanks again. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat May 18, 2013 00:32

BBQ Sauce

1 can tomato paste
Apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
Brown sugar (or white)
1 good squirt of yellow mustard (such as French's...typical American hot dog mustard)
Several cloves of garlic, squeezed
1 onion, minced
Olive or cooking oil, or bacon grease (better)
Cayenne pepper
Salt & black pepper
Liquid smoke

Except where indicated, ingredients are "to taste."

1. Saute the onion in a little oil until it is just turning brown
2. Add all the other ingredients. Start by getting the sugar and vinegar to the levels you like. Then add the other ingredients. Taste as you go.

Not a very elegant recipe, but this is how I make it!

Cheers,
Jeff
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 27, 2013 09:43

Hi Maxell,
One of our members cooked some baby back ribs that will make you hungry just to look at the photo! He's a good friend of mine and his handle is "Blackriver". He's posted some photos of his Barbecued Ribs at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 3686#19540

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon