Got my Brisket in the Q..................

sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Got my Brisket in the Q..................

Post by sausagemaneric » Mon Sep 02, 2013 21:21

So I have read the Brisket recipe on the stickies and I am pretty close to the recipe with what I got goin on this Labor Day. Mustard and seasoning all night. In the smoker at 225 ish since 0645 hours this morning. Hoping to eat around six tonight. It is up 150 in the smoker. Does it sound like I am winning? This is a pretty large brisket @ 16 pounds. Any advice to make sure I hit the mark for dinner. I put a couple Pork butts in the smoker to just in case the brisket isn't ready at 1800hrs.

V465
V465
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Sep 02, 2013 21:49

My brisket was smaller, 12-1/2 lbs or so, and cooked at 245° until I jacked up the temperature just a bit to 265°, about 6 hours in. It was ready (185°F) at 8 hours. I wrapped it in foil (optional, considered a sin in many places, but it keeps the thing moist) for the last hour. As it turned out, we waited for an hour and a half until we ran out of gin & tonic (not my fault), so it was a good thing to have wrapped.

I'd say you're on target.

...other than that I don't use mustard for rub, and don't rub overnight. Black pepper and garlic salt only, applied after it comes out of the refrigerator and is washed off and patted dry. I wait (do other prep to get the smoker going) while it warms to room temperature, an hour or so, just before going into the smoker. What wood did you use? (I used mesquite pellets in my Amazin' smoke generator, in a gas smoker.)

Whatever it did, it sounds good. Wish I could stop by and sample.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Mon Sep 02, 2013 22:22

I am using real Mesquite Charcoal, and one piece of Oak smoldering. I am just hoping it's done at 1800 hrs.
V465
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Sep 03, 2013 00:04

If it's not up to 185° by 1800, feed the crowd another round or two of drinks and munchies. Steady as she goes. Do the foil wrap bit. (It'll speed things up just a little, according to some folks' belief.) If you crank the temperature too far above, say, 275°, even with foil, you'll just make the meat tough.

If it approaches 8PM, though, PANIC! "Hey, guys! ...Carl's Jr., on me!" :wink: "...ice cream!" :wink:

...and do the next brisket at 250° to maybe as much as 275°. Hang in there. You'll get it. (...assuming you survive tonight!)
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Tue Sep 03, 2013 00:37

It's getting close to 180 now. I saw one post showed the guy wrapped it in saran wrap, then foil, towel and in a cooler to re-absorb the juices.....what's your thought on that?
V465
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Sep 05, 2013 00:42

sausagemaneric wrote:It's getting close to 180 now. I saw one post showed the guy wrapped it in saran wrap, then foil, towel and in a cooler to re-absorb the juices.....what's your thought on that?
I just use foil. ...seems to work.
How did it turn out? (Well, I hope.)
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Wed Sep 11, 2013 05:51

So I took it out at 180, wrapped it in foil tight. Wrapped it up in a towel and put it in a cooler for an hour. This was a good brisket. I think what I need to know is this: Will the "flat" ever be juicy and tender? I find that the thick end is easy to get tender while remaining juicy. The flat starts to get juicy as you carve more to the left, closer to the fat. If I went to 190 and wrapped it up in foil and a towel drop in a cooler for more like 2 hours would that allow the juice to meander back down to the "Flat"? My temperature was 225-250 the whole time, right at about 10 hours before I wrapped it. Any Ideas ?
V465
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Sep 12, 2013 02:32

In my experience, the flat is always drier than the fat end. Going to 185 or 190 will make the whole thing more tender. Of course, that takes time, but it's worth it. To get it done in a reasonable time, try going to 250-275 degrees.

I can't vouch for the behavior of juice vis-a-vis foil and towels and such, but the last hour in foil seems to keep mine from drying out.

Hope the crowd enjoyed it. I take it that they did- - no lynch mob mentioned!

Just kidding. Keep on smokin'/eatin'/practicin'.