Got a new BBQ Book

sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Got a new BBQ Book

Post by sausagemaneric » Fri Feb 03, 2017 16:06

My Bride got me this book for Christmas. Called Bob Garners Book of Barbecue, North Carolina's Favorite Food. The Book is really a history lesson regarding the originality of whole hog BBQ in North Carolina. It describes the diff between the northern and southern bbq in North Carolina too. Lots of photos of old BBQ joints. It's a real fun read with lots of info. His thoughts on Traditional Texas type BBQ are pretty narrow minded, but it's a fun read.
V465
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Feb 03, 2017 17:13

Does he show the regional map of the type sauces? If so, its pretty accurate. A family friend is in the BBQ business and is pretty good at it. He is only open five times a year and has made his living this way for over fifty years and has done quite well. I actually have the recipes for two of his sauces. (Sorry, I can't share them)
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Sun Feb 05, 2017 23:04

I haven't seen maps in the book, but that is possibly 'cause I haven't looked close enough. From what I've read, he is born and raised in North Carolina. He does a great job of giving a regional description based on directional headings from cities. It would likely make lots of sense to someone that is familiar with the geographic locations of the cities. He describes the different sopping sauces from different regions and also how the first Q-Restaurants developed and how they migrated to other regional areas. I think it's legit...................
V465
MatterOne
User
User

Post by MatterOne » Fri Apr 13, 2018 02:35

Butterbean wrote: He is only open five times a year and has made his living this way for over fifty years and has done quite well.
Okay... I've dreamt many times about making a living off of my love for food, but what your friend is doing is far beyond what I've ever even hoped for.