Venison Liver Sausage

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Mar 10, 2018 16:06

Thanks, I was wondering about how strong it was. I made something with venison liver a while back but don't remember the amount I used but whatever percentage it was it was too much as I found it extremely strong and just to gamey for me. I'm funny about venison though. I prefer to eat does rather than bucks due to their milder more beef like flavor. Bucks here can sometimes get rather strong. Also, does run by hounds are the same.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 10, 2018 18:38

Butterbean wrote:Thanks, I was wondering about how strong it was. I made something with venison liver a while back but don't remember the amount I used but whatever percentage it was it was too much as I found it extremely strong and just to gamey for me. I'm funny about venison though. I prefer to eat does rather than bucks due to their milder more beef like flavor. Bucks here can sometimes get rather strong. Also, does run by hounds are the same.
Here it really varies from animal to animal. The meat from this particular buck was was not gamey at all. We prepared cutlets the day after processing and based on that, I knew that I would not have to add extra spices or do anything else to temper any gaminess when making sausages. And I think this was also reflected in the liver.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Venison Liver Sausage

Post by fatboyz » Wed Jan 12, 2022 01:11

I see the pics from earlier are gone, photobucket issue? so here are some more. Coarser than the type done in the cutter.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Wed Jan 12, 2022 02:02

Still looks good regardless of coarseness
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 12, 2022 18:37

fatboyz wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 01:11
I see the pics from earlier are gone, photobucket issue? so here are some more. Coarser than the type done in the cutter.
Nice looking batch of liver sausage. Haven't made any for a while so I have to get to it. We were going to head south next week for a month or so, but that plan has now been scuttled. Another winter at home in the rain, so making sausages is a good way to pass the time.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 01:28

I made a batch with a liver from the deer my daughter and I got. I just got back from a late season cow elk hunt. I have 300 pounds to cut up saturday. Will make some good sausage!