[CAN] Moose Summer sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 28, 2015 16:30

Bactoferm (TM) F-LC meat culture with bioprotective properties for production of fermented sausages with short or traditional production times. F-LC is recommended for the production of all types of fermented sausages. Depending on fermentation temperature, acidification is either traditional, fast or extra fast. F-LC is a mixed culture containing Pediococcus acidilactici, Lactobacillus curvatus and Staphylococcus xylosus in a convenient freeze-dried form. P. acidilactici ensures reliable acidification whereas S. xylosus results in strong flavor development and a good, stable color. Due to bacteriocin production both L. curvatus and P. acidilactici contribute to suppressing growth of Listeria monocytogenes.

I agree with Bob that dropping the fermentation temp should result in a milder tasting product. F-LC is a unique culture in that depending on fermentation temperature, acidification is either traditional, fast or extra fast. So that means that you can achieve the same pH drop fermenting at different temps but the taste will be different. I have successfully used F-LC in making long term dry cured products fermented at 70-72F for approximately 48 hours. Using .4% sugar there was a bit of tang, but not pronounced. However, a proper summer sausage, which is a descendant of the European cervelat, is meant to have that discernible tangy flavour.

As to sugar, unless we know the starting pH of the meat, we are playing a guessing game. According to Fidel Toldra, 1% of dextrose will lower the pH 1 point. So the addition of sugar would be adjusted accordingly. Dextrose is a simple one molecule sugar which is consumed rapidly by the bacteria. So to slow down the fermentation, sucrose or a combination of sucrose and dex. can be used. I remember reading somewhere that some American salumerias are using turbinado sugar in their products.

Hope this helps.
Chris
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Wed Oct 28, 2015 21:20

Thanks Bob and Chris-that is exactly what I was hoping for. I don't have a decent PH meter as yet(will have one soon) so I just need to keep it safe(and tasty) for the moment---we just put 125Lbs of prime venison in the freezer so have some product to play with!

Thanks again
Pat
I've always tried to set a good example for others-but many times I've had to settle for just being a horrible warning!