It's Deer Season Again

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Nov 09, 2012 03:56

Well, whataya know, it's deer season again. A neighbor brought back a nice looking specimen, shot down around Victoria. (Texas, not BC. Sorry, redzed.) We mixed and stuffed about 10 lbs of sausage today. Will let it season and dry for a couple of days in the refrigerator, then smoke, then raise to 165 deg.F internal temperature, for a "semi-dry, smoked, cooked" sausage.

We kicked up the "heat" a bit, as several people noted, using extra cayenne. We used fresh garlic and fresh rosemary. The test patties were really good, particularly after the garlic and rosemary (and cure) had had a chance to diffuse into the meat a bit and work their magic. Neighbor wanted snack sticks, so I used some of the 17mm collagen that we had ordered for the kabanosy in Project B. We plan to back off on the smoke a bit because of the smaller diameter.

"...and a good time was had by all."
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 08:20

That sounds great Duck! I'll bet your neighbors are "eatin' out of your hand" with your skills eh? I hope they realize what a good guy you are to provide all the expertise... and probably the grinding and stuffing equipment too. Shucks pard, tell them-thar Texans to join our forum too!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 19:58

Yes I just put deer #4 in my freezer, I head south next week, venison and moose sausage will have to wait until spring. :mrgreen:
Col. Big Guy
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Nov 10, 2012 02:56

Big Guy wrote:Yes I just put deer #4 in my freezer, I head south next week, venison and moose sausage will have to wait until spring. :mrgreen:
"Is meanink Moose and Squirrel, da?"

...got a couple of old Rocky & Bullwinkle betamax tapes around here, somewhere.
(...sound of various items being tossed out of boxes, breaking glass, old tire rims clanking to the floor, etc.)
Hey! It's my old Dudley Doo-right, RCMP, trooper hat! ...and the Kur-wood Derby!
"Hey, Rock- - - watch me pull a rabbit outa my hat!"
:mrgreen:

Interesting artifact: if you use the word Kur-wood but you leave out the dash, it displays as *cenzura*. (Google Translate says this translates to "censorship" in Polish.) Is this some hidden message left over from the Cold War days? (Don't worry, Natasha- - your secret is safe with me.)
BLAMMO!
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Sat Nov 10, 2012 03:17

We shot 5 bull moose among 8 guys, and 3 bull elk between 4 guys. A pile of work, but the proceeds of that work are well worthwhile. Lots of meat for sausage and curing. It is now deer season, and thus far I have passed up about 8 big Alberta whitetails(140-180) for a bigger one!!!! If I knock down a deer, okay, but if I don't, I could really care less.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Nov 10, 2012 06:49

Dear Uncle,

We are currently suffering from a moose famine here on the Island. We have an infestation of black tail deer around here, but the tree huggers, PETA, the SPCA and my neighbours won't allow me to bag one or two right from my front yard. Moose salami sounds intriguing , please send meat.

Your nephew,

Red
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 08:58

tree huggers, PETA, the SPCA and my neighbours won't allow me to bag one or two right from my front yard.
Red, invest in a good lasooo and rope one at 3 in the morning! :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Nov 10, 2012 13:28

Be sure to have someone standingby with a video camera when you do that lasso thing. :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sat Nov 10, 2012 14:41

Buck, do you grind it and package to freeze and take it out as necessary or freeze it in large pieces, than defrost and use it.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:00

We debone the hind quarters, cut into meal portions, vac seal it, and freeze it. The front quarters get the grinder, vac'd and frozen in 10lb blocks However I do keep some unfrozen to make sausage with that day. The remainder I freeze in 10lb packages(vac'd) to be made up into sausage later.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Nov 12, 2012 04:02

...running behind on packing these guys out, due to the local WurstFest in New Braunfels. Here are the venison sticks, ready to be trimmed and vacuum packed.
New Braunfels, TX, Wurstfest wound up today after a ten day run at the dedicated Landa Park facilities. It gets better every year. Lotsa different beers and local sausages and the usual funnel cakes and deep fried strange things (I passed on the deep fried kool-ade). Naeglin Bakery had a variety of struedels and other German-style pastries. Several stands offered wurst-tacos. The civic clubs were all out in force, both in the food stalls and the decorations and facilities, and did their usual outstanding job.

We attended on an off-night, but the WurstHalle was still packed. ...and that's good. There were three music areas. A hot-looking (and sounding) girl band from Bavaria, Die Bayerische 7, was great. A polka group, Alex Meixner Band, featuring Alex on accordion, played like they were possessed. Incredible! Polka is alive and well in central and south Texas.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 19:46

So like every good Dad, I put my son in my favorite stand. Venison hams and sausages are certainly in our future.

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 20, 2012 22:23

Zack, All of the recipes that I have made that call for lamb or beef work very well with deer meat. Nice looking buck there.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 07:23

Red,
This old poacher will have to come over and teach you a few things we do here down under.
No payment required. just a few cold ales and some smoked sausage;
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 07:38

Hey Dave,
Tell your son he passed the test and got an A+.
Are your guys removing those musk glands on the legs? If your fingers pick that stuff up, it can sure mess up a good piece of meat.
Nice goin' pard. Are you going to make liver and onions?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon