Smoke generator by StefanS

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Smoke generator by StefanS

Post by StefanS » Fri Sep 16, 2016 02:16

Some time ago I started to think about improve my Cadillac by REAL COLD smoking. Thanks to additional motivation by Redzed, in last few days I have made it.
1/8 thick stainless steel plates - pain in the neck to cut them then weld them then cut some more, then weld then cut then grind them
as always - during construction some changes to project, new ideas, Friend of mine brings me a nice pice of stainless steel pipe - 2" diameter, so I use it - on picture parts to make air nozzle and connector - I have used air compressor instead small air pump ( in future will change it to aquarium pump)
here are parts - longer steel grill is used to cover pipe intake also, square one is as bottom of burning chamber, bottom cover is used like ash tray.
and - fire
Test is very promising - soon will check it in real use with my smoker
dimensions 6 1/2" by 6 1/2" by 22 "
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Sep 16, 2016 07:01

Nice job. You can also use a small squirrel cage fan to blow the smoke.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Sep 16, 2016 19:07

Wow Stephan nice work!! You keep adding new options to the Cadillac . At least in the New England climate there is plenty of time to cold smoke!
MatterOne
User
User

Post by MatterOne » Sun Sep 18, 2016 16:19

Looks great, Stefan!
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Oct 27, 2016 19:47

Last few days my smoke generator has been tested. One thing giving me some headache - my smoke generator is too big for aquarium pump. It is not enough air pumped by Tetra Air pump to run fire and smoke. To keep burning/smoking I used a air compressor (ball valve to control air flow) but it is not a option for future (noisy, power consuming). I have started in search of more powerful air pump with around min. 1000 GPH (constant run). Any ideas?.
My thinking at this moment is - https://www.amazon.com/Active-Aqua-Comm ... 36CGT&th=1
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 19:52

Here is what I have on one of my smokers.

http://www.sustainablesupply.com/Dayton ... oCLLfw_wcB
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Oct 28, 2016 01:19

Not the best picture in the world but here is how mine is set up. The squirrel cage fan blows over the dust box and pushes the embers and smoke down to the bottom of the fire box where the smoke exits the box and into the chamber. Its very quiet and doesn't take much electricity.

redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 29, 2016 07:04

Hi Stefan,
I think the key is to get a pump that is controllable because if you get one that is too powerful it will burn your sawdust or pellets too fast, generate a lot of heat and you will have excess tar build up which is a problem with the venturi style generators like yours. And when cold smoking you don't want an excess amount of smoke, just a steady waft of blue smoke over a long period of time.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Mon Nov 07, 2016 17:41

Thanks for suggestions. I have consider these problems highlighted in your post Chris, so just thinking about Butterbean suggestion plus get motor speed controller for that particular fan, or get commercial aquarium air pump. Not decides yet.