Hotel Salami is now Open!

redzed

Sopressatta

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 12, 2012 23:16

This morning it was time to try the sopressatta since it has lost 30% of its weight after the fermentation period, so it's technically a higher loss than that. It was started 35 days ago. I am happy to report that it turned out very well, great flavour and texture, but next time I will add a little more heat. (Rev. Ducko is converting me with his barrage of daily chili sermons) Only a tiny amount of case hardening on one side, but essentially negligible. I used 60mm. collagen casings, R2 Naturin brand, which have a special coating that forms a cream color mould on the exterior.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Nov 12, 2012 23:36

Redzed, congratulations - those look fantastic. I'm envious, because the one attempt I made at soprasata didn't turn out well. (Tried making it without a curing chamber.) You really knocked this one flat!

Jeff
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 07:54

Worth it all! The effort pays off! Congrats pal. You've done an outstanding job.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Breasola

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:12

The latest to come out of my curing chamber was my breasola. I used a 1.2 kg eye of round, dry cured for 12 days and then two months in in the chamber. Weight loss was 40%. There is a bit of case hardening because the beef was hung uncased, something I will not do again. All in all, I'm very happy with it. Nice texture, complex savoury flavour with a hint of mustiness. Had some today drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice, some black olives and a glass of Primitivo. Good stuff!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29

Verrrrrry nice Red! Yum - Yum!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 20:33

Hi Red,
Man o man, this looks great. Case hardening? I can't see any. If you are talking about that darkish rim around the dried beef, you are splitting hairs.
You can be proud of what you made!!!!!!!!
Hell, I would be over the moon and just in time for Christmas too.
Congratulations.
Jan.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Dec 11, 2012 00:21

o maaaaan - that is good lookin!

A) must make bresaoala!
B) must buy meat slicer!

yer killin me!
cryan1980
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cryan1980 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 00:37

Wow! my first bresaola is in curing phase right now, I can only hope its a 10th as good looking as that!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 09:46

Hey Cryan, we'll be waiting for a few photos! Don't forget to recharge the batteries in your camera! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 20, 2012 18:51

Yesterday I cut into my Lomo Embuchado made according to Marianski's recipe, with the exception that I used smoked paprika rather than regular. Extremely pleased with it, it's better than my Lonzino. Cured evenly and has that mellow, salty, peppery flavour with a hint of paprika. Cured for 60 days with a weight loss of 45%. As with some of my other solid muscle cured products, I will be casing them next time.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Dec 20, 2012 19:00

Red, all I can see is your photo of Babe Ruth, point the bat where he's going to hit the home run next. Way to go Buddy.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 20:14

Red,
If you keep this up, I mean posting pisctures all these beautiful cured, dried meats.
All our members will finish up with monster inferiority complexes.
What you done for me with all these photo's is getting me rather worked up and stressed out about starting my own curing/ drying chamber.
My wife tells me already that I am very hard to live with.
Cheers MATE and congratulations again on your charcutrie endeavours.
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 20, 2012 20:36

Thanks Jan, I think that I've been lucky in this whole thing and I'm glad I made several products to get going rather than one or two. Certainly learned a lot in the past 3 months. I have a coppa that I will be tasting later today and will post pics. I also have a salami genoa that seems to be stuck as far as the drying, and is still quite soft when I squeeze it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your efforts in that mega chamber you are constructing. And as far as your wife's complaint about you being hard to live with, that is a standard line that all women use. Just smile and nod and continue doing what you were doing. :lol:
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Thu Dec 20, 2012 22:10

Wow, that looks great man!!!
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
ajwillsnet
User
User

Where abouts are you on the Island

Post by ajwillsnet » Fri Dec 21, 2012 00:03

Hi Redzed: I am live Victoria and I am just getting into cured sausage. I would love to see your setup and pick your brain for any ideas.

Bert,