Glass front fridge

BlueMonkey
User
User

Glass front fridge

Post by BlueMonkey » Wed May 04, 2016 09:41

Sorry, question from a newb....

I have been looking for another fridge to convert to a curing chamber, however I want this one a bit larger than my current set-up.

I have found a good double door ex-drinks/ commercial fridge for a reasonable price, but am hesitant because of the glass.

Very interested in opinions as my gut is telling me that it would let in light which could be a bad thing, but my head is telling me it is a decent size and price....

Really don't want to go down the path of painting the exterior of the glass, or hanging blankets over it.

Thanks in advance,
Tony
BlueMonkey
User
User

Post by BlueMonkey » Wed May 04, 2016 11:30

Forgot to mention my next concern.

As this is not a frost free type fridge I am presuming it would it run at a higher Humidity? If so would a mini dehumidifier work or is this too slow for the fridge output?
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Wed May 04, 2016 14:56

I would imagine it be easier for it to be a frost free and induce humidity as needed instead of attempting to dehumidify all the time
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed May 04, 2016 17:19

Are you sure that the unit is not frost free? The glass front fridges are usually commercial and all the ones I have seen are frost free. Maybe it's different down under. :lol: Does it have a fan blowing in the cold air? Most guys who convert a commercial fridge are quite happy with them as they are stronger and have a faster temperature recovery rate if you are venting and have better air movement. The only thing that I think is a liability in those fridges is that they are usually all metal inside which in time will rust because of the high humidity.

The glass doors can be a problem if they would be in direct sun or constant fluorescent lighting. Light causes fat to turn rancid. One option might be to glue anti UV film on the outside of the doors.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu May 05, 2016 06:03

You can always paint the glass door black on the outside of the glass with spray paint. Will come off easily with a razor blade scraper. Prest! No light thru the glass!