curing chamber by StefanS - Side by Side

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

curing chamber by StefanS - Side by Side

Post by StefanS » Tue Apr 18, 2017 02:05

More than 1 year ago I have got a old free refrigerator. Small fix and it was working again - At that time decision had been made also - curing chamber. Preparing, searching for ideas of electronics, ideas -how to do it and transfer it for my needs. Finally it is.
Last edited by StefanS on Thu Mar 15, 2018 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:50

Great job Stefan! Were there any wires in the partition beteween the freezer and refridg.?
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Apr 18, 2017 13:22

Thx Bob. No there wasn't any electric, high or low pressure lines. Because i didn't know that , it was one of main reasons for using small laminate router with 1/8" straight router bit. I set depth of cut just below thickness of metal sheathing and cut it on both sides. (warning - use face mask and leather gloves). Relatively easy cut, router bit -trash.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Apr 18, 2017 15:37

Yea that dense foam is incredibly messy! You are using the ice dispenser with fan for one vent is there another one for air exchange?
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Apr 18, 2017 16:08

Only that fan is for air exchange inside. I got that fan some time ago and to my surprise its dimensions were exactly like ice dispenser inside opening, this situation is giving me possibilities to use that fan to choose air flow in or out (not decides yet - experimenting). There also 3 other openings in construction - one in right upper corner where cables go inside (1" opening minus dimensions of cables). Left upper corner - 1/2" opening for old water inlet to ice maker. Also in floor is 3/4" opening for old condensation outlet. These opening right now are for air outlets when fan is working (every 3 hours for 5 min). There is also fan for inside air circulation - cooling coil. Its working every time refrigerator is working.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Apr 18, 2017 17:33

StefanS wrote: Also in floor is 3/4" opening for old condensation outlet.
What are you doing with the condensned water now. Still using the old evaporation pan or something different?

What have you made that is drying now? :mrgreen:
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Apr 20, 2017 01:01

Bob - I didn't change anything in that field. Don't think so that there will be any condensation.
Anyway - as today unit is working almost perfectly with fresh load inside. Temperature is constant 52-53 F, humidity on 80-82 RH. There are 5 pieces already hanged and 7 pieces in curing process.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Apr 21, 2017 22:07

Bob K wrote:What have you made that is drying now?
Bob K. - your question is bothering me so finally is my idea - :lol: My door bell is broken and not working, but somebody can ask - what the hell has door bell to do with condensation system in my curing chamber? - It has a lot.... :idea: In condensation pan will install small bilge pump (neighbor has small boat) :grin: . When level of water will rise pump will work (level activation switch) and pump water to specially prepared tank. There will be installed small fountain pump - let say - 20' head-up. Activation switch will be connected with timer then it connected and will be activated by door bell push knob. :lol: It will deliver water to sprinkler installed above door and will work only for - lets say- 20 sec. Somebody trying to meet with me will be splashed and start screaming/yelling so I will hear and know that there is somebody, That way I will kill two birds with one stone - Condensation pan will be empty and I will know that somebody comes to my house. Is it good idea? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Apr 22, 2017 13:46

I'll have to remember to knock! :evil: :razz:
But what type of meats are you drying?
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sun Apr 23, 2017 17:53

Bob K wrote:But what type of meats are you drying?
To answer that question - I will start new topic in Dry cured meats - reason - a few different meats