New (used) purchase! Proofer!

harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

New (used) purchase! Proofer!

Post by harleykids » Sat Sep 23, 2017 04:40

I was in Des Moines, IA area for business this week and was scanning the FB marketplace section. Saw a half size baker proofer listed for $200, must sell asap no room in the garage. Sent the folks a message, offered $60 cash, and they said sure.

Went to pick it up and they told me it was the bottom half of a oven/proofer stack, each piece independent of one another. They needed the top convection oven but not the proofer, so that's why they were selling the proofer separately. They needed another power cord (it's a 220VAC unit) so they cut the cord off the proofer to use on the oven installation. So I said how about knocking $20 off the price since I will have to buy a cord and rewire, clean up the proofer (it's dirty), etc. They said "Sure, we just want our garage space back so we can park inside this winter". Nice folks, they own a Bosnian restaurant in Urbandale area.

So now I have dirty proofer to clean up and rewire, and play with and modify to make a fermentation chamber from. Already have a great dying chamber but have been using my kitchen range oven for fermentation...that sucks.
This proofer should hold temp anywhere from ambient up to 180F I believe, at any humidity from 40% to 95%. Has heating coils, water tray, and circulation fan I think (haven't had time to look closely as it was dark)

Hopefully this gives me an inexpensive, stable temp and humidity chamber in which to ferment salumi, sausages, etc. Being a half as tall as a full size proofer, it should take up less room theoretically.

I could also put an amazn smoke tube in the bottom and have a cold smoke that I could dial in exact temp up to 180F, basically a tiny smokehouse with humidity capability.

Will post pics when I get some good ones! If it doesn't work out I am only out $40, a risk I am willing to take!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Sep 24, 2017 15:27

Good deal Jason! That should work out fine. You would have to cut vents if you want to smoke in it, but I bet it would work great to finish smoked sausage in. Even temp and high humidity.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sun Sep 24, 2017 18:22

I have a really nice smoker that I use for BBBQ, as well as cold smoking my bacon.

This proofer will hopefully be for just for fermenting salumi, so I can ferment at an accurate temp and humidity and be very repeatable.

I have my Hanna Halo wireless PH meter, so I should be able to hang salumi in there, stick my Hanna meter in some mince and be good to go for fermenting accurately.