Higher humidity % at different levels of chamber

STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Higher humidity % at different levels of chamber

Post by STICKSTRING » Thu Jan 25, 2018 19:26

Hello all, so, I`ve noticed in my dry chamber the lower half of the chamber holds a higher humidity % then the upper half from moisture settling I am assuming. I have two separate hydrometer`s set up inside to verify my numbers. The upper have usually stays around the 77% mark while the lower half stays around 81-83% depending on the last time the fridge has turned on for a cooling cycle. I`ve also noticed the affects of this in my dry sausages. They hand from top to bottom in a long string of sausages. The lower half dries slower then the upper half. I haven`t had a negative effects due to this, but would love to even my numbers a tad bit more. Has anybody verified this in their chambers, and if so has anybody found a remedy to fix or even out this problem?
Thanks Nick
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Thu Jan 25, 2018 19:51

As you can see, running strings of 38-42mm cased sausages top to bottom are the norm in my chamber. I have exhaust fan (top left) and Intake (bottom right), runs 2 times a day for 10 min each time, A dehumidifier and the fridge pushes air around every time it turns on. I`ve noticed the humidity difference is worst when the fridge hasn`t turned on for a while. It has been pretty cold in my neck of the woods recently and I`ve noticed in the early mornings, the fridge will not have to turn on for 6-7 hours at a time!
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Thu Jan 25, 2018 20:30

Hmmm, I just finish my first batch in my newly constructed chamber and I battled a lot of the same issues.

To circulate air, I have a mini computer "like" fan, that turns on every 6 hrs for 10 minutes.
I rethinking that now, maybe should be 5 minutes every hours, because my sausages dried kind of funny shaped.
Although, I've see this before, mine was pretty severe and I think a lot of it had to do with what your dealing with.

Humidity differences and circulation, although, I still have much to learn.

I sorry I can't help anymore then that, would love to see what the pros say.

Oh, just pulled my sausage here is what I got, they are done

STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Thu Jan 25, 2018 20:57

Your dried sausages look 👍🏻. I`m not too worried about the humidity difference as neither high or low number is out of my "acceptable" range. But I would love to tighten those numbers up and allow the most upper and most lower sausages to dry at a more equal rate
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Thu Jan 25, 2018 22:25

I'm guessing a computer fan may be perfect, my fan is much like a computer fan but moves the air just a bit more then I would like, I know you need just a smallair movement.
So, again would love to see what the pros have.

This learning curve stinks.
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Thu Jan 25, 2018 22:50

I don`t think the learning curve ever ends. I have been drying sausages for a few years. Have never dealt with this specific issue until I built my most current dry chamber. My others did not seem to have this problem although this fridge is ALOT bigger then my past chambers
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Fri Jan 26, 2018 01:06

You are so right about the learning curve, I started out about 25 years ago with my father in-law an off the boat Italian, who taught all the old time stuff.
He's been gone for a long time now and I strive to do what he did, and now I'm learning all over again with new stuff, like cure #2 & #1, which he never taught me, or never heard about.

I'm holding my own, and slowly getting there.

I think I said it before, hang in here, this is the most down to earth, up front and honest place.

Everyone is super!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jan 26, 2018 15:34

If you haven't had problems I wouldn't worry about it. Fans usually cause more problems. Easiest way would be to hang them in the top half, look like you have the room!
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Fri Jan 26, 2018 15:57

Hmm never thought that a fan for some circulation would cause problems. To add to my learning curve, what kind of problems?
Maybe that's why my sausage dried in funny shapes?
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Fri Jan 26, 2018 17:37

Thank you bob for the response. 👍🏻