Drying in basement no chamber

Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Drying in basement no chamber

Post by Albertaed » Sat Dec 19, 2020 16:51

I am experimenting with drying in my basement this winter because my normal fridge (drying chamber) is being used right now. :roll: :roll:

I have made a drying area in a closet with a humidity controller. In northern Alberta in the winter the air is bone dry!

Normally I have things in there at various stages so I shoot for 56F 80%RH.

I have been able to keep it at a 50-60F range just by adjusting the window and letting in more or less cold air in with no problem because it is -20C outside! :shock: :shock: The problem is we are about to get unseasonably high temps of close to 0C and I fear the temp may rise above 60F.

It’s a little unnerving not having complete control but at the same time it makes a person give a little more though into the drying process.

Okay finally a question.
How high a temp is too high? If Mid to high 60s are manageable can I bump up my RH closer to the 90% range to compensate. :?
redzed

Re: Drying in basement no chamber

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 19, 2020 23:18

To begin with, what exactly are you drying? If you are making a whole muscle cut and it was well cured and has a good amount of salt, it might be okay if the temp goes above 15C. If it's a salami type product, then no one could or should advise you to go above 15 degrees, especially at the start of the cure. You probably would be better off by refrigerating whatever you are drying until the cold whether resumes. Your Chinook won't last long.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Drying in basement no chamber

Post by Albertaed » Sat Dec 19, 2020 23:44

I have a fridge that I’m using for most of my salami(If I ever figure out how to load pictures I’d like post a few) :? For this I thought I’d preform an experiment in the basement to maybe give my fridge a break in the winter months. Not much else to do. :| I think I agree that if I can’t control the temp to below 57ish I think the experiment is over.