Small Chamber - what is too full?

rgreenberg2000
User
User

Small Chamber - what is too full?

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 17:09

I may have gotten ahead of myself a bit (or my equipment), or maybe not.... :) How full is too full in a drying chamber? I'm using a small, 32-bottle wine fridge for a chamber. I've currently got two coppa, two chorizo, one Lomo, and one pancetta stuffed in there. I have everything arranged so they are not touching each other, not touching the sides of the chamber, and they are (reasonably) out of the way of the output of the humidifier. Since "airflow" is manual right now (aka: me opening the door and swinging it back and forth 10 times or so, about 3 times a day), have I set myself up for issues, or is that load not too much?

Here's the fridge currently:

Thanks!

Rich
redzed

Re: Small Chamber - what is too full?

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 20, 2020 19:07

Hard to say, as long they are not touching as you say, and there is some air movement and the products are aging well, then you're OK. But in in the big scheme of things a larger unit with better air and humidity controls is more efficient. And after you've been doing this for while going and opening and closing the door several times a day, becomes a chore. :D
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Sun Dec 20, 2020 19:10

Looks Good!!

Different subject. Where the heck does I person find an avatar image 100x100pixels :? :? :?:
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 20, 2020 19:15

Use any image you want and edit the pixels down to 100. I just took my passport photo and used Microsoft photo editor to reduce the pixels.
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 19:29

redzed wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 19:07
Hard to say, as long they are not touching as you say, and there is some air movement and the products are aging well, then you're OK. But in in the big scheme of things a larger unit with better air and humidity controls is more efficient. And after you've been doing this for while going and opening and closing the door several times a day, becomes a chore. :D
Thanks, Red. I figured that the answer was going to be something like that. I guess if I can keep the temp/RH steady, and nothing weird starts to grow then I'm ok for now. I'm sure that if I have some success and get more into doing this, that a larger curing chamber will be on the list. Right now, though, my wife wants there to be fewer cooling appliances in the house rather than more (main fridge, garage fridge, drink fridge, wine fridge, curing fridge......) My argument that the curing fridge cycles the least is not having much effect. :)

R
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Sun Dec 20, 2020 19:55

redzed wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 19:15
Use any image you want and edit the pixels down to 100. I just took my passport photo and used Microsoft photo editor to reduce the pixels.
Got it! Life long learning 8)
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 20, 2020 22:02

rgreenberg2000 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 19:29
Right now, though, my wife wants there to be fewer cooling appliances in the house rather than more (main fridge, garage fridge, drink fridge, wine fridge, curing fridge......) My argument that the curing fridge cycles the least is not having much effect.
People have such strange priorities. Tell your wife that there realy is no Santa Claus and that there is no such thing as too many fridges or freezers. I have a large fridge, and chest freezer that are dedicated to my hobby (no soups or frozen vegetables allowed) and of course my curing chamber which I recently converted from brand new stand-up freezer. I may also need another freezer. :D
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Dec 22, 2020 14:16

redzed wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 22:02
my curing chamber which I recently converted from brand new stand-up freezer.
Chris - can you post more infos on that pls. It is looks like soon I will need new maturing chamber and thinking about 21.7 cuf stand-up freezer.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 23, 2020 05:24

StefanS wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 14:16
redzed wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 22:02
my curing chamber which I recently converted from brand new stand-up freezer.
Chris - can you post more infos on that pls. It is looks like soon I will need new maturing chamber and thinking about 21.7 cuf stand-up freezer.
Will do. I took pictures last spring and have been planning to post them for a while now. Coming soon!
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed Dec 23, 2020 13:34

redzed wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 05:24
Will do. I took pictures last spring and have been planning to post them for a while now. Coming soon!
Thank you. Sooner is better :D