Well here is my curing chamber.

bcboy
Beginner
Beginner

Well here is my curing chamber.

Post by bcboy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 02:38

Here are some picture....
I was wondering if I should put a small computer fan in for circulation? What do you guys use, or do I need a circulation fan? Thanks again everyone.

Image Image
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Well here is my curing chamber.

Post by Indaswamp » Thu Jan 28, 2021 03:43

Is the refrigerator a frost free model and does the refrigerator have a fan that circulates air on the cooling cycle?

Also curious as to why you left the glass shelf in at the bottom?
bcboy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bcboy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 15:45

Automatic defrost, I can hear the fan turn on when the cooling cycle kicks in.
I just put the capocollo's and bresaola into the chamber and was thinking it would catch some of the liquid from the meat.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Thu Jan 28, 2021 16:08

Looking good👍
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 30, 2021 17:21

Congrats on the new curing chamber, you will have a lot of fun. It will take a bit of time to get to know it and tweak the controllers because it certainly works differently when there is product loaded into it than when it is running empty. Since you don't have a vent installed, you will need to give it some air exchange by opening and closing the door a couple of times per day. I'll try and post pics and info this weekend on my latest chamber.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 20:14

Well, I just had to purchase a new unit for my chamber. With 4 hurricanes hitting Louisiana in 2020- two major storms- both fridge and freezer demand is extreme. Can't find a used one and when you do, it is snatched up quickly. I bought a new one. My old one sprung a coolant leak in one of the lines. Was not cooling good at all...cycling too long and the fan was running too long. Got slight dry rim, but the salamis will dry enough to vac seal and allow to equalize. They are at 27-28% now....

I had been putting 16# of ice in the bottom of the old chamber with a low fan blowing up just to keep the temp down... held a steady 56*F for about 20 hours with RH% around 81%...ran it like that for a week.
So-if your chamber ever happens to go out, you can keep it going temporarily with ice and a small low fan.