Commercial refrigerator/drink cooler conversion to a curing chamber

redzed

Commercial refrigerator/drink cooler conversion to a curing chamber

Post by redzed » Mon Jun 28, 2021 19:24

Well, another one of my curing chambers died. This time it was a stand up frost free freezer. Ran smoothly for a little over a year and then it died. I am now looking at getting a commercial glass front fridge. The issue is how to handle the fan on top that runs all the time when operated normally. If I use an override temp controller that will turn the compressor and the fan on only when it needs to lower the temp, will it be enough for the evaporator not to frost over? If anyone is using a type of this fridge for a curing chamber, I would very much appreciate your comments.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Commercial refrigerator/drink cooler conversion to a curing chamber

Post by fatboyz » Tue Jun 29, 2021 00:27

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I have a medium sized drink cooler and was thinking to replace it with a beer fridge and making that into my chamber.
Was thinking of just setting the temp to 8C and leaving it at that and see how it works?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jun 29, 2021 15:37

I am pretty sure Lou's chamber is similar try sending him a PM.
He uses Auber controllers.
LOUSANTELLO wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 13:05
I bought a commercial double door, all stainless interior 34 cubic foot Turbo air with the digital readout on the outside. I was hoping to be able to set the stat for 54 degrees. Well. The manufacture wont let you take the temp that high. I`m not drilling it. I have everything running thru the gaskets and it`s cheaper to replace the gasket if I need to. The unit is large enough that I can physically roll a dehumidifier and humidity into it and place it on the bottom and still have 100 pounds of meat in it. As far as circulation, I just open the door once a day. Man, does it work beautiful. It`s the best thing I ever decided to do.
Leesel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Leesel » Wed Jun 30, 2021 09:47

redzed wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 19:24
Well, another one of my curing chambers died. This time it was a stand up frost free freezer. Ran smoothly for a little over a year and then it died. I am now looking at getting a commercial glass front fridge. The issue is how to handle the fan on top that runs all the time when operated normally. If I use an override temp controller that will turn the compressor and the fan on only when it needs to lower the temp, will it be enough for the evaporator not to frost over? If anyone is using a type of this fridge for a curing chamber, I would very much appreciate your comments.
Hey Red,
I’ve just got a similar frost free freezer free of charge from a friend, I haven’t converted it yet as I don’t know where the gas lines run in it, and to be honest am struggling to work it out. I didn’t want to drill through them.
I wondered whether you drilled into the side of yours or whether you ran the cables through the door. If so how stable was it holding it temp humidity.

Many thanks
Lee
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Wed Jun 30, 2021 14:30

Leesel wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 09:47
I don’t know where the gas lines run
If you know the manufacturer and model number of your freezer, you might try googling parts for your mfg-model. Many times they will show parts diagrams that might help you discern where the gas lines are.
Just a thought. . . .
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Wed Jun 30, 2021 15:35

My drying chamber is based on a small older-model Beverage Air glass door cooler. The original fan was way too powerful, causing too much air circulation, so I replaced it with a computer fan rated at 60 CFM, which is probably still a little high. As originally wired, the fan runs continuously, not just when the compressor runs, and I left it that way. No significant frost build up on the evaporator.
Leesel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Leesel » Wed Jun 30, 2021 16:28

jcflorida wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 14:30
Leesel wrote:
I don’t know where the gas lines run
If you know the manufacturer and model number of your freezer, you might try googling parts for your mfg-model. Many times they will show parts diagrams that might help you discern where the gas lines are.
Just a thought. . . .
Thanks JC, that’s a great shout. I’ll have a look.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jun 30, 2021 20:06

Bob K wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 15:37
I am pretty sure Lou's chamber is similar try sending him a PM.
He uses Auber controllers.
LOUSANTELLO wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 13:05
I bought a commercial double door, all stainless interior 34 cubic foot Turbo air with the digital readout on the outside. I was hoping to be able to set the stat for 54 degrees. Well. The manufacture wont let you take the temp that high. I`m not drilling it. I have everything running thru the gaskets and it`s cheaper to replace the gasket if I need to. The unit is large enough that I can physically roll a dehumidifier and humidity into it and place it on the bottom and still have 100 pounds of meat in it. As far as circulation, I just open the door once a day. Man, does it work beautiful. It`s the best thing I ever decided to do.
Lou's is a bit different. I believe it's all stainless steel inside and out with solid doors. The one I was thinking of buying had a glass door and a painted metal interior. Anyway it was sold while I was hemming and hawing whether I should grab it. An all stainless steel commercial fridge is probably better because it's better insulated and won't rust inside from the humidity. I have started looking for one.
Lorenzoid wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 15:35
My drying chamber is based on a small older-model Beverage Air glass door cooler. The original fan was way too powerful, causing too much air circulation, so I replaced it with a computer fan rated at 60 CFM, which is probably still a little high. As originally wired, the fan runs continuously, not just when the compressor runs, and I left it that way. No significant frost build up on the evaporator.
Are you using an override temperature controller or cooling with the built in one? Any rust issues on the inside?
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jun 30, 2021 20:14

Leesel wrote:
redzed wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 19:24
Hey Red,
I’ve just got a similar frost free freezer free of charge from a friend, I haven’t converted it yet as I don’t know where the gas lines run in it, and to be honest am struggling to work it out. I didn’t want to drill through them.
I wondered whether you drilled into the side of yours or whether you ran the cables through the door. If so how stable was it holding it temp humidity.

Many thanks
Lee
I drilled 2 holes, one in the back, trough which I ran the 2 temp and humidity sensors and power to the dehumidifier, and one in the floor for the power to the humidifier. On tthe top of the door I cut out a 4 inch hole and installed an exhaust fan. On the bottom of the door, another 4 inch hole and an intake fan. I would not risk drilling any holes on the sides or roof of the freezer.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:10

Mine is stainless inside and out. As far as wiring, I decided not to drill anything. I run all the cables through the door gasket. If I need to change a gasket once in a while, it's still better than hitting a line. I also bought it brand new with a 5 year warranty, so if I have a problem, I didnt void the warranty. I have the standard fan on top, but the fan sucks air, it does not blow air,,,so I didnt do any modifications. I had a small computer fan in it, but I removed it completely. I open the door twice a day to exchange the air. I do know people that are running the temperature without controllers with no issue, if you want to run that cold. It's not a problem, but you product will take longer. I still use a humidifier and dehumidifier with a controller in the chamber
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jul 01, 2021 16:26

Thanks Lou. I committed to buying a used True brand single door commercial fridge and will be picking it up next week. Can you post some pics of your unit? It will help me setting up the unit and help others in the future. Are you sure your fan actually extracts air rather than used to distribute it throughout the unit to ensure even cooling? What brand did you buy? I'm also probably going to drill some holes to get some air exchange as I'm not always around to open and close the door on a daily basis.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Thu Jul 01, 2021 22:44

Cajuneric uses a TRUE commercial. This is how he dealt with the fan issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRi1QPsYAgc
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Thu Jul 01, 2021 22:57

redzed wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 16:26
Thanks Lou. I committed to buying a used True brand single door commercial fridge and will be picking it up next week. Can you post some pics of your unit? It will help me setting up the unit and help others in the future. Are you sure your fan actually extracts air rather than used to distribute it throughout the unit to ensure even cooling? What brand did you buy? I'm also probably going to drill some holes to get some air exchange as I'm not always around to open and close the door on a daily basis.
I honestly dont know if the fan is recirculating. All I know is when the fridge is running, I can put a piece of paper up to the fan and it sucks the paper. There is no other direct airflow in the chamber other than the dehumidifier. Im using a turbo-air 39 cubic foot double door stainless refrigerator.
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Fri Jul 02, 2021 14:10

redzed wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 20:06
. . .

Are you using an override temperature controller or cooling with the built in one? Any rust issues on the inside?
Yes, I use a temperature controller with my little Beverage Air. The interior is white, and it looks refurbished (painted), probably by the local Coca-Cola bottler whose stickers were plastered on it. So far, no rust, but I have only been at this hobby for a few months. As is common with these smaller beverage fridges (and I'm guessing you would prefer a large fridge), the fan, and indeed the entire evaporator unit, is located in the rear wall of the interior; there are no refrigerant lines running through the other walls. Since the fridge is quite small, I located the humidifier externally, running a line through a hole in the wall. This appears to work fine with the small fridge. A large commercial fridge is probably a different story.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Thu Jul 22, 2021 18:35

@Redzed-
Got some pics of your new chamber set up? How did you address the fan issue?