My Journey with UMAi Bags

Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Thu Jul 10, 2014 21:45

After hanging in the wine room for 72 hours, the sopprassata chubs were weighed on placed in the fridge for the duration until 30 - 40% weight loss. At this point the weight loss between the chubs was 5.4 to 7.7% or an average of 6.5%. Meanwhile the capicola is firming up in the fridge - be patient now :!:
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 23:05

Sounds good so far, I want to try these bags BUT I'll wait on your results.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 07:57

Cogboy,
I couldn't wait for results from anybody and I started 2 Coppas a few weeks ago.
They are drying well and losing weight as expected.
Have a look on their Forum, you got nothing to lose.
Matter of fact, Our Forum is mentioned quite frequently for sound advise
and great recipes.
Cheers,
Jan.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:31

crustyo44 wrote:Cogboy,
I couldn't wait for results from anybody and I started 2 Coppas a few weeks ago.
They are drying well and losing weight as expected.
Have a look on their Forum, you got nothing to lose.
Matter of fact, Our Forum is mentioned quite frequently for sound advise
and great recipes.
Cheers,
Jan.
I didn't wait and ordered two packs last night. :grin: I believe I need a frig with wire racks and not glass shelves. the only one I have w/wire is my beer fridge so I'll have to buy another small fridge before trying the UMAi process. My wife will be shaking her head again!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:04

Cogboy,
From what I've read and heard on Forums, just use your kitchen fridge, buy a small 1/2"square wire rack and put it on the glass shelf. This works fine for me.
Your kitchen fridge is opened rather frequently and this helps the drying much better due to air exchange than a small fridge.
I have experienced this with my first 2 Coppas. The weight loss was more than in my small fridge.
I also encased the bag in stretch netting as insurance to have proper contact between the meat and the vacuumed bag.
It works very well.
Get into it!!!!! Just select a good recipe on the forum.
Good luck,
Jan
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Fri Jul 11, 2014 14:33

cogboy wrote:I believe I need a frig with wire racks and not glass shelves. the only one I have w/wire is my beer fridge so I'll have to buy another small fridge before trying the UMAi process. My wife will be shaking her head again!
Wouldn't a cookie rack on the glass shelve work? Sounds like home. Just ordered a 20 cu. ft. upright freezer so we don't have to go pork diving in the 20 year old chest freezer. Hmmm keep that around for a curing chamber maybe.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 00:05

Shuswap wrote:
cogboy wrote:I believe I need a frig with wire racks and not glass shelves. the only one I have w/wire is my beer fridge so I'll have to buy another small fridge before trying the UMAi process. My wife will be shaking her head again!
Wouldn't a cookie rack on the glass shelve work? Sounds like home. Just ordered a 20 cu. ft. upright freezer so we don't have to go pork diving in the 20 year old chest freezer. Hmmm keep that around for a curing chamber maybe.
The fridge with glass shelves is full of the wifes stuff like food etc. New beer fridge will be purchased soon.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jul 12, 2014 06:21

Ok, Shushie, I am confused. What are are you making? A "capricola" (new to me) or a "coppa"? Just read this thread as I was camping.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jul 12, 2014 08:20

crustyo44 wrote:Nepas is now one of their moderators. Rick finally surfaced again, curing, smoking and also using UMAi bags all in his 40'motorhome.
This guy has made the rounds on every English language sausage forum out there. Wonder why he stopped posting here?
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Jul 12, 2014 14:07

redzed wrote:Ok, Shushie, I am confused. What are are you making? A "capricola" (new to me) or a "coppa"? Just read this thread as I was camping.
Red, aside from my typo, I am making capicola (according to UMAi) from the coppa muscle of the pork shoulder.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jul 12, 2014 18:04

el Ducko wrote:(2) What about smoking? Can you smoke it while it's in the UMAi bag, which is used as a casing? (If the bag is oxygen- and water-permeable, maybe smoke can get in as well).
Don't think so. According to the manufacturer, water can leave the bag, but it is closed to gases. That is why it works well in dry aging. The Umai bag and the Tublin®10 is the same product.
http://www.tub-ex.com/media/Tublin_10_b ... f_beef.pdf
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sun Jul 13, 2014 19:57

When investigating the UMAi bags I came across this site in Australia which tells an interesting story about UMAi: http://www.mistygully.com.au/dry-aged-s ... erie-bags/
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jul 13, 2014 20:45

You are right, Tub-Ex do make two types of bags that are suitable for smoking, the Tublin00 and Tublin05. The people who distribute and peddle the bags to us amateurs for ridiculous prices give them different names and don't provide the technical specs. Umai folks even go as far as claiming that they developed the product. The meat packing industry buys the bags in 500 meter rolls probably for cents per foot. What does Umai charge? 4 bucks a foot?

Lot more info and spec sheets here:
http://www.tub-ex.com/Food+2.24.aspx
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Mon Jul 14, 2014 00:17

redzed wrote:Lot more info and spec sheets here:
http://www.tub-ex.com/Food+2.24.aspx
Red, as near as I can tell UMAi has North and South America tied up tight. They don't tell us which tub-ex bag they are supplying and certainly don't give us spec sheets. If we want to avoid using a curing chamber, which I know you haven't, we have to take what we can get at whatever price UMAi charges. However, if these bags work out I may go to the "commercial" lots to try and control cost. :mad:
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:45

My salumi and charcuterie kits arrived yesterday, I should have read the contents closer before ordering. There is no Bactoferm included w/ the salumi kit,time to order more stuff! :mrgreen: