Umai Soppressata and Chorizo

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 20:43

rgauthier20420 wrote:I'll do it tonight to see what I'm looking at then. I'll try and snap a picture of it before the cut and after for reference.

It's sucks that's how things went down over at that forum. I'm been there a few times and it's a very inactive forum. I don't do much there at all really, it was just kind of funny seeing his name there too. It's so easy for people to think they are "bigger" than they really are while on the internet. It seems some forget we're here to learn and not judge. He's not my hero, I've just seen a number of things he's produced and they look good.

Before slicing the black spot out try rubbing it with vinegar so see if it will wash off.
Yes I really did not want to bring his name into it but you asked :razz: He was a good friend. Removing all my post's as if I was never there, just set me off and I am still talking to the owners of the site about it. I want to know if they want that type of action to reflect their business. Not holding my breath on it though, the man is a legend in his own mind.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 20:44

Ok. I'll report back tomorrow then to see what happens.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 15:48

So just a small update. There are only 2 logs of the Soppressata left....I opened another over Christmas when family and friends came over. The other 2 are at 35% weight loss as of now and the Chorizo logs are around 30% respectively. They are softer to the touch then the Soppressata at 30% was, so I'll definitely be letting those rest a little more before opening.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 15:27

Well I'm on my last of 4 logs of the Soppressata and it's still in the bag in the fridge. It's gonna sit there until the wife is ok with trying it. She's having our 2nd child next and my parents will be up, so we're opening after the hospital stay. This stuff is good and I'll be making the exact recipe again.

The Chorizo is still quite soft for some reason. I thought I'd weigh one of the logs to check and make sure they are still loosing weight and it's still dropping and currently at 33% loss. I actually cut one open a couple days also just to make sure I didn't have anything going on in the interior like spoiling and it's perfectly fine and tasty....just soft. Looking like I'll have to take them to 40% or more to get proper firmness but I'll see.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 16:02

rgauthier20420 wrote:Well I'm on my last of 4 logs of the Soppressata and it's still in the bag in the fridge. It's gonna sit there until the wife is ok with trying it. She's having our 2nd child next and my parents will be up, so we're opening after the hospital stay. This stuff is good and I'll be making the exact recipe again.

The Chorizo is still quite soft for some reason. I thought I'd weigh one of the logs to check and make sure they are still loosing weight and it's still dropping and currently at 33% loss. I actually cut one open a couple days also just to make sure I didn't have anything going on in the interior like spoiling and it's perfectly fine and tasty....just soft. Looking like I'll have to take them to 40% or more to get proper firmness but I'll see.
Congrads on your upcoming fatherhood.
What I have started doing is weighing the salami a couple of days after I make it as I believe it gives the meat time to rest and any moisture left over from making it has had time to dissipate. The other possibility is the fat content and and the amount of liquids you added for the recipe. A few more days wait will be well worth it and yes I know how hard it is sometimes.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 16:11

Thanks Devo. I feel like I'm getting better at "knowing" where they are at by squeezing them. It's definitely different than the Soppressata. The meat came from the same shoulder and the same amount of liquid was used with the culture in both recipes. I know it's safe to eat so that good seeing as I already had a taste to check. A little more time waiting won't kill me so no worries.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 16:59

As a rule of thumb for these 32mm bags I find they loose about 2-3 % every 24-30 hours. Not sure on the 50mm ones yet as I have not started anything with them yet.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 17:01

Devo wrote:As a rule of thumb for these 32mm bags I find they loose about 2-3 % every 24-30 hours. Not sure on the 50mm ones yet as I have not started anything with them yet.
I definitely doesn't seem to be that case with the 50mm ones I'm using. I'm seeing that percentage drop in usually 2-3 days time.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jan 02, 2015 18:59

Congrats to you and your wife Rg! Its quite a journey raising kids these days.

I notice that the UMAI recipe does not have (hard) back fat in the recipe like other recipes for soppressata.

It may be something to consider for a firmer texture and mouth-feel.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 19:16

Thanks Bob. This will the 2nd one and it's been a ride to say the least with the 1st. So we're looking forward to it.

I've never used actual back fat for any of my stuff. I don't have a butcher locally that I can get it from and I'm not about to order that online. For these 2 recipes, I simply bought pork shoulders, chopped them up, and portioned each out. So they both got the same amount of everything so to speak.

I do hope they firm up, which I'm sure will happen with time. When I cut into one of the to check for any sort of spoiling, it didn't appear to be over marbled with fat either so.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sun Jan 04, 2015 16:53

Bob K wrote:Congrats to you and your wife Rg! Its quite a journey raising kids these days.

I notice that the UMAI recipe does not have (hard) back fat in the recipe like other recipes for soppressata.

It may be something to consider for a firmer texture and mouth-feel.
Bob that is interesting - my umai pepperoni never did harden up. Oh the details, eh :!:
Phil