Umai Soppressata and Chorizo

rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Umai Soppressata and Chorizo

Post by rgauthier20420 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 15:22

This is my first time using these bags for fermented and dried meats so I'll document it up to the finish line. Yesterday I ground about 9 lbs of pork shoulder through the largest plate in my grinder and mixed 4.4 lbs with the Soppressata spices and 4.8 are waiting for the Chorizo spices (I'll explain why).

So I'll admit I didn't research the use of the newest addition of zip ties to this system to well. I cut 6 lengths of casing the same size and sealed off one end to create the expected length of the casings. I had no idea what each length would actually hold, so I just made them even. Turns out I only got to use 4 of the 6 because of some issues. So I'll just say for anyone reading that the new system that doesn't use the VacMouse and only uses zip ties is much different.

So after I stuffed 4 logs worth, all you apparently all you have to do is twist it really tight and use the tie wrap to close the opposite end. This is the part where I goofed and I thought you'd need to vacuum, seal, and then tie wrap (wrong!). This is where I lost 2 of the pre-cut casings because had to put some meat back into the stuffer.

With that said, the process took MUCH longer and was MUCH more frustrating than I'd originally hoped. It took far to long so I don't think I could have mentally taken another round. However, now that I know how to do it, it should be very very simple.

The first picture is the day they were stuffed and hung and the 2nd is 36 hours in. I'll be pulling down, weighing, and popping them in the fridge tonight.

The Chorizo meat mixture was mixed with the spices and cure last night because I again didn't have time to stuff. I will be stuffing and hanging tonight though for sure.

Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Tue Dec 09, 2014 16:09

rgauthier20420 wrote:So after I stuffed 4 logs worth, all you apparently all you have to do is twist it really tight and use the tie wrap to close the opposite end. This is the part where I goofed and I thought you'd need to vacuum, seal, and then tie wrap (wrong!). This is where I lost 2 of the pre-cut casings because had to put some meat back into the stuffer.
Don't give up! If you are using the 32mm bags with ties watch this Umai video that shows how easy stuffing is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brhT_7Vkw0s#t=26
Phil
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 16:30

Its OK, I have done one batch with the vac mouse before the ties was mentioned. I also used string and it all works out the same. The ties just make it easier but the final product comes out the same.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 16:38

Thanks! I'm using the 50mm casings with the twist ties, but I'm gonna watch that video still to see. I'm sure it's the same throughout. I'm still very hopeful for this process. I guess for some reason I was under the assumption that a vacuum seal must be present inside of the bag for the system to work. That of course doesn't seem to be the case since with the ties all you're doing is tieing each end off.

I'll be finishing stuffing the Chorizo tonight, so I'll add another couple shots of that since I now know how the process SHOULD be done.

I'm really liking the stuff so far. Devo, can't wait to see your pepperoni!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Dec 09, 2014 18:18

Rg-
Learning curves suck! :cry:

What culture are you using?
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 18:21

Bob K wrote:Rg-
Learning curves suck! :cry:

What culture are you using?
I know right! It's odd to because I'm usually one to research everything before I even try it. Ohwell, I'll count it as a frustrating but rewarding 1st time.

I'm using FLC for the ferment since it's what I'd order a bit ago.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Dec 09, 2014 18:48

FLC will work fine as long as there was dextrose in the recipe.

Reading about things or even watching videos is great, hands on is when you really learn!!
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 18:52

Bob K wrote:FLC will work fine as long as there was dextrose in the recipe.
Yes dextrose was added to each batch. I had a couple containers of brewers priming sugar (dextrose) around the house so that's working nicely.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 20:38

If you are making Coppa, Bresaola etc etc, you can stuff them in an UMAi bag without a vacuum seal but encase it all in stretch netting and dry the same in your kitchen fridge.
This method works also very well.
Cheers,
Jan.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 20:40

crustyo44 wrote:If you are making Coppa, Bresaola etc etc, you can stuff them in an UMAi bag without a vacuum seal but encase it all in stretch netting and dry the same in your kitchen fridge.
This method works also very well.
Cheers,
Jan.
Jan, for now I only picked up the 50mm bags. Once I'm through these, I might get the larger bags depending on what I fancy at the time. I looked through your thread and saw some great looking stuff!
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 15:33

My son broke our home laptop so I had to wait to get back into work to get this updated. On Tuesday, I pulled the Soppressata down and stuffed and hung the Chorizo. Here are a few shots. The Soppressata took on an amazing color since the cure and ferment. No off smells at all right now. They are currently sitting on the fridge.

The 2nd time around stuffing was MUCH easier. Simply tie wrapped each time I wanted to end the log and then again an inch or so down and then cut between. Just like the video but with the larger diameter casings.

Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Thu Dec 11, 2014 15:55

rgauthier20420 wrote:The 2nd time around stuffing was MUCH easier. Simply tie wrapped each time I wanted to end the log and then again an inch or so down and then cut between. Just like the video but with the larger diameter casings.
:grin:
Phil
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 16:10

Shuswap wrote::grin:
Yep. I'm actually going to ask for more casings for Christmas. I think I'll be making quite a bit more and trying lots of recipes!
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 11, 2014 17:07

Richard those Umai products look good. And that colour is exactly what it should be. I know how difficult it is now to sit and wait for them to dry! :lol:

My Tublin 10 plastic casings arrived a few days ago from Umai. Fast shipping. Unfortunately won't be able to do anything with them for a couple of months. I will then undertake an experiment where I will make three different products and make half of each using the plastic in the fridge technique and the other half using beef middles, surface mould and curing chamber. Will invite friends to adjudicate which tastes better.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 17:10

redzed wrote:My Tublin 10 plastic casings arrived a few days ago from Umai. Fast shipping. Unfortunately won't be able to do anything with them for a couple of months. I will then undertake an experiment where I will make three different products and make half of each using the plastic in the fridge technique and the other half using beef middles, surface mould and curing chamber. Will invite friends to adjudicate which tastes better.
You'll need my address if you're to send me these samples to test :mrgreen: