Stan And Adam strike again! Another new exciting book.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Stan And Adam strike again! Another new exciting book.

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 02:32

YeeHaw! Stan and Adam have a brand new book out today called "Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Pickles & Relishes", by Stanley Marianski and Adam Marianski. The postman brought me a copy and I was a gonner for several hours. I just couldn`t get my nose out of the book; it`s that interesting. There`s lots of technical information included, but it`s not over the reader`s head. This is a "must have" book if you are going to make sauerkraut or kimchi, and pickles and relishes. There are lots of photos too - something that truly helps those just beginning to understand the fundamentals of it all.
Adam starts with a terrific introduction and quickly describes the health benefits of cabbage. There are discussions about salt, temperature, fermentation, equipment, brine, and much more. As the book progresses, necessary equipment is discussed along with the airlock principle and general savvy regarding scales, containers, presses, jars, weights, and crocks. Chapter four turns the reader`s interest to Kimchi and Tsukemono. The next chapter is all about fermentation and pickling cucumbers with several additional related topics. Chapter six delves into pickles and relishes, including chutneys, chow-chow, horseradish sauces, beets, and of course, superb recipes as usual! Congratulations Stan and Adam. You`ve done it again.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Mar 16, 2012 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 16, 2012 02:38

This one I will buy.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Mar 16, 2012 03:51

Sounds interesting. I like all forms of fementing.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Mar 16, 2012 17:15

Just ordered it from Amazon.

-Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sat Mar 17, 2012 02:28

I purchased a kindle copy for my samsung galaxy 10.1. I was a little upset they put Staley for Stanleys name. How could you mess up the Authors name... I'm very happy to get the book and can't wait to read it.

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Mar 21, 2012 22:40

I tried to buy it yesterday and all they had on Amazon was the e-books. I'm gonna guess they sold out. Will try again unless someone has another way.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 01:27

Hi Butterbean,
I just contacted Bookmagic and made them aware of this. You'll probably be hearing from the big guy himself.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jgfladten

Post by jgfladten » Tue Oct 16, 2012 19:58

Chuckwagon, Do you know where I can obtain the new pickle recipe book by Stan? thanks Jeff
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Oct 16, 2012 21:43

Jeff, Just google the title and you will get a dozen hits on the first page.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 22:10

OR.... just go directly to Stan's own company
http://bookmagic.com/

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Tue Oct 16, 2012 23:26

I have had the book for a couple of months. It is great information. I have done the fermented veggies. But it is an acquired taste. I purchased the air locks from amazon. Haven't did the sauerkraut yet and that to me is where the book shines.My opinion only.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Oct 17, 2012 00:24

I did my first batch of sauerkraut back in April (right after getting the book.). Came out great!
Also made the fermented beets (really liked the results!). Then did the fermented turnips next (with decidedly mixed results :shock: )

I just put up another 2 gallons of cabbage. Should have 'kraut' in about 3 weeks.

Kevin

Last April's batch:
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Wed Oct 17, 2012 00:31

If I may ask what are you using on the top of the jar, to hold the cabbage down. I use a cabbage leaf. yours look better.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Oct 17, 2012 01:40

On my most recent batch, I did use the large outer leaves to cover the top layer. As there was a significant abundance of liquid from the cabbage this time (Fall cabbage vs winter cabbage?) I didnt feel it needed a weight to keep the kraut below the fluid line.

In the April batch (pictured), when the fluid level was lower, I used medium -sized saline-filled zip-log bags to hold the kraut down. Worked great. I just had to be sure the salinity in the bags matched that of the jar contents in case of a leak.

Kevin