Bacon Cure Question

trucktramp
Beginner
Beginner

Bacon Cure Question

Post by trucktramp » Sun Dec 20, 2015 18:17

I just had 2 hogs butchered and am going to do my own bacon. I was looking at CW's Son's of Bees Bacon recipe and noticed that the #1 cure amount was incorrect. For a 25 lb belly it calls for 1/4 cup #1 cure which is about 72 grams or 397ppm well over the 120 ppm allowed. My question is for 25 lb, how much #1 cure? Feel free to dumb it down or send me the formula or both. I have use this recipe as is and everyone that tasted the bacon was impressed but I would rather be safe than sick.
I believe in moderation in everything...including moderation
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 20, 2015 19:10

This is a popular recipe and indeed everyone who loves sweet tasting bacon raves about about it. We have had numerous discussions here about the amount of nitrite that the recipe calls for and yes, it does exceed the USDA standard. However, the question is how much of the nitrite is actually absorbed by the bacon. El Ducko prepared some calculations and a good case that with the honey and if you add a large amount of water, the amount is safe. Take a look here:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... &start=120

Inasmuch as el Ducko's position may have some merit, it is based on assumptions without actually measuring the actual intake amount of the nitrite. There are labs that can do that for you and it's probably the way to go and resolve this issue.

All I can suggest here is that you add half that recommended amount and you will still have enough nitrite to make it safe and affect the colour and flavour of the bacon.

Let us know how it turns out and have a great Christmas!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Dec 21, 2015 16:04

If you would prefer to use the 120ppm formula the amount for 25 lbs is 21.75 grams.

For different weights just use the cure calculator http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... calculator