New To Forum -Fat Smearing???

K98 AL
User
User

Post by K98 AL » Mon Oct 31, 2016 15:27

The liquid fat/pockets seem to be the biggest problem I have with all my sausages, and always appear during poaching. (whether after smoking or not)

I used to pay a processor to make brats during the hunting season - I'd take boneless meat over there, he'd mix with pork/fat, and I'd get back brats, already cooked. (appeared poached)

Since my family was already used to getting brats out of the freezer already poached, I wanted to stay with that process. My water never got over 175, so I don't know what's going on at all. I pulled as soon as they hit 152 IT.
K98 AL
User
User

Post by K98 AL » Mon Oct 31, 2016 17:01

OK - here's a stupid question (another!) - I preheat my kettle to 175F to cook these in, could that contribute to the problem? Would I be better off to start colder and bring temp up?

I wish there was some expert guy in my kitchen pointing out my mistakes and berating me as I go. I wouldn't ruin so much potentially good food that way.....
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Oct 31, 2016 17:32

Here is a link on how to cook the perfect bratwurst. It recommends submerging the sausages in cold water and bringing it up to temp very slowly but he also has a better way. The perfect way. Haven't tried it myself yet but I plan to. Sounds like he has done quite a bit of homework and what he says makes sense.

Its already been mentioned about the different fats and this could be playing a role but I think a quick fix would be for you to pull the sausages at a little lower heat than you are doing since the internal temp will continue to rise - AND your thermometer could possibly be off a few degrees.

I must admit, I've made what he calls the unloved grandmother before and its depressing.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/the- ... sages.html
K98 AL
User
User

Post by K98 AL » Mon Oct 31, 2016 17:56

Butterbean wrote:Here is a link on how to cook the perfect bratwurst. It recommends submerging the sausages in cold water and bringing it up to temp very slowly but he also has a better way. The perfect way. Haven't tried it myself yet but I plan to. Sounds like he has done quite a bit of homework and what he says makes sense.

Its already been mentioned about the different fats and this could be playing a role but I think a quick fix would be for you to pull the sausages at a little lower heat than you are doing since the internal temp will continue to rise - AND your thermometer could possibly be off a few degrees.

I must admit, I've made what he calls the unloved grandmother before and its depressing.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/the- ... sages.html
The "unloved grandmother" is my signature sausage. :cry:

I will try the low temp start.

Thank you so much for the tip!!!!