Boundin Split

kadalmancal

Boundin Split

Post by kadalmancal » Sun Mar 26, 2017 18:37

I am a beginner boudin maker and have made 2 large batches. I am about to make a large batch and my last 2 batches have been good except for my casing splitting on me when I cook it. When using rice is it best to stuff the rice and meat mixture at room temperature or if its cold. I have a feeling the rice is causing it to expand and split but I could be wrong. Any suggestion on what the best casing is to use and what temperature to have the meat and rice mixture when stuffing? Thanks for any feedback.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Mar 26, 2017 20:27

You may be stuffing it too tight. Also, when you cook your rice in the broth you might find it helpful to increase the amount of broth a normal rice recipe calls for since rice will absorb more liquid if done simply by following rice directions. Adding a little more broth will help make it swell more in the pot than in the casing. It'll make a mushier rice if that makes sense. Mainly though, don't stuff very tight because its going to swell. Also, your mixture should be wet and not dry when stuffing. Hope this makes sense.

Oh, I just use regular hog casings.