Making 2 types of emulsified sausages from the same mass

wasuky
User
User

Making 2 types of emulsified sausages from the same mass

Post by wasuky » Fri Oct 23, 2020 22:00

Hello guys,

I was just reading the Emulsified Sausages section in https://www.meatsandsausages.com/ and I ended up with 2 questions.

1 - The text says "Often more than one sausage type is produced at the same time. In such a case the emulsified mixture becomes a sausage mass that becomes a base for different sausages. Of course besides salt and nitrite no other ingredients are added when making the base." .

Now, let's say I have 3kg of the emulsified base. I want to make 2 mortadella recipes and 1 wiener. I have the base in the freezer, now, how should I proceed? How should I add the spices to each one of these recipes? In the food processor or mixing like a when making a cake?

2 - The web says "As the meat has been very finely comminuted, it is sufficient to hang stuffed sausages overnight in a refrigerator (38º F, 3-4º C)"

What should I do if I want the tangy-cured-fermented taste in the mortadella? I've red in some webs that leaving the mortadella hanging in the curing chamber does it, but the I ask to myself "Would the 14ºC temperature in the chamber break the emulsion?"
Butterbean

Re: Making 2 types of emulsified sausages from the same mass

Post by Butterbean » Sat Oct 24, 2020 13:31

To season a different base, in my situation, I would add it when I gave it the final grind/chop. I'd add it with the ice and water.

I don't see where fermenting it would break the emulsion.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 24, 2020 15:46

These are not easy questions since emulsified sausages are not usually fermented. If you have links to credible sources referring to fermented mortadella, please post them here. I would be very much interested in seeing them. Hanging the emulsified product in a at 14% might not break the emulsion but I would first refrigerate it so that the sausage sets. Also at 14C you will get very little fermentation and it will take a longer period to bring the pH below 5. In fact, a temp of 14C is too low to ferment meats. Northern European sausages such those produced in Scandinavia and Germany which have that characteristic tang are fermented at higher temps 25-32, and the fermentation is complete within 24 hours. What I would suggest that if you want a tang in your version of mortadella is to use GDL or encapsulated citric acid to sour it.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Oct 24, 2020 17:11

I was thinking of the ECA as well. Might be a lot easier to just use a good mustard with your sandwich if you want some tang. :lol:
wasuky
User
User

Post by wasuky » Sat Oct 24, 2020 19:58

Butterbean wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 17:11
I was thinking of the ECA as well. Might be a lot easier to just use a good mustard with your sandwich if you want some tang. :lol:
I think I will go with this one. I don't want any trouble with the mortadellas I am trying to do since I finally succeeded in making the emulsion. It is really hot here and the kitchen is like hell with a kitchen and oven and I've been having a few troubles with the temperature as it goes up very fast.

Yestarday I made 1kg mortadella using the Mortadella di Bologna recipe in https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... la-bologna and it came up pretty good of taste but to prevent temperature of going up too fast I completely froze the meat and fat, then I thawed a bit (I felt it ready to go to the food processor) and started cutting. Thing is that I still had a few chunks of frozen meat and the food processor was struggling. The processor got too hot and I had to stop it before I kill it. The mortadella didn't come up with the fine texture (almost like jelly) I like but it's still good. I learnt that meat and fat must be near/on freezing point if I want my father to keep talking to me (my food processor is quite small so I used his).
Butterbean wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 13:31
To season a different base, in my situation, I would add it when I gave it the final grind/chop. I'd add it with the ice and water.
So, it would be OK if I just put the emulsion base in the food processor and add the spices and a ice/water while I cut it for a few seconds?

I will have to pass with the GDL or ECA since these cannot be found anywhere around (I've asked to a few spices and aditives provider and they don't even know what these are). Plus, I had a trouble with a seller who I bought some citric acid before (I asked if it was encapsulated and the guy said "eeehh... yes, sure it is"). I tried my first mortadella and my first summer sausage (both repices called for ECA) and well... I ended up with a grainy-sandy-sawdusty and greyish meat.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 24, 2020 21:13

Are you not grinding the meat first and them putting i into the processor?
wasuky
User
User

Post by wasuky » Sat Oct 24, 2020 23:29

Yes. I am grinding and then cutting. I know that "chunks of frozen meat" sounds like I just put the whole piece in the processor. Thing is that it was frozen rock, I put it in the fridge to thaw and when I touched it, I only touched the surface with my fingers. I did not notice the bottom was still solid rock.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Oct 25, 2020 17:21

I was thinking about your thoughts on making a fermented mortadella yesterday and I came up with a strange thought. Granted this is a bit outside the box so take it for what its worth.

Have you ever made Naem moo? If not, its a fermented Thai pork sausage that is fermented with rice and pork skins which are seasoned and wrapped in banana leaves and left to ferment at room temperature for 3-7 days. White sugar is used in the mix to aid fermentation and when I've made this I've found the meat ferments usually within a day because we have pretty high temperatures in the subtropical region where I live.

I was wondering though if you couldn't approach the fermented mortadella in this same manner. You could season the meat with sugar and whatever spices you wish and give it a course grind and leave the batter out to ferment at room temperature. Once fermented, you could switch over to your mortadella process once you have chilled the meat.

I know this sounds a bit strange from several perspectives - food safety being one - but thus far I've had great success with Naem moo and really enjoy it even though it goes somewhat against the grain of traditional sausage making.

However, I'm not sure if the high acidity of the meat would effect the bind but think if I were to approach this I would separate the meat and fat and only ferment the lean meats in this manner and add the fat to the mix after I had cooled the fermented lean meat. I also think to be extra cautious I would sous vide the "mortadella" so I could prolong the expose of the meat to the desired temperature so to insure I nailed any pathogens that might have gotten a foothold during the exposure period.

Just food for thought.