Salami

magician
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Salami

Post by magician » Thu Jan 28, 2021 22:37

Hi Redzed, I thank you for your feedback input here, I am learning for sure. Yeah, I will leave the water out next time, mix the cure with the wine. I get it about the double grinding, will stop doing that for sure, it is a lot work anyway. If I had been back home in school, I would have gotten a wack over the head for NOT listening and thinking!
Wanted to ask, using the synthetic casings, they seem and feel much like plastic, would that be the reason not or very little mold form on the outside?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
redzed

Re: Salami

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 30, 2021 17:55

magician wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 22:37
Wanted to ask, using the synthetic casings, they seem and feel much like plastic, would that be the reason not or very little mold form on the outside?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Not easy to reply here because there are so many different synthetic casings. In general, natural casings will always take on mould better than synthetic, but if you use function specific casings, those that are made for dry cured sausage or at least deemed suitable for that purpose, the mould should also do well on them. Of course you still need to provide proper environment for the mould to grow, and you may need to buy a starter.