Which style Sherry wine for making salami?

Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Which style Sherry wine for making salami?

Post by Indaswamp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 07:33

I did not know there were so many different types of sherry wine. The one I am familiar with is the dark sweetened sherry. I don't know which one would be best for inclusion when making salami. Fino, Manzanilla, Amontillado, Oloroso, or a sweetened sherry? I'm thinking the bold oloroso, but that is just a guess. Any assistance choosing is appreciated. Thanks.
redzed

Re: Which style Sherry wine for making salami?

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 30, 2020 05:52

That's a tough question because sherry is usually not used in salami making. It's a high alcohol type of wine (esp. olorosso) which may act as an antimicrobial and destroy beneficial bacteria. It's also a low acid wine and traditionally wine was added to lower the pH. A yound aromatic white works well, and a young fruit forward red usually also has acidity and flavour. I'm curious why are set on sherry?
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Sun Jan 03, 2021 05:11

Thank you for the reply redzed. I looked online and found this:
Inspired by a recipe from the mountainous Brianza region in Northern Italy, COLUMBUS® Crespone Salami from well-trimmed, premium cuts of antibiotic-free pork. We season them with pepper, garlic and sherry wine, then stuff the pork into natural casing and slow age it for a particularly tender texture and ‘country style’ taste. Varieties slow aged at least 26 days.
https://www.columbuscraftmeats.com/prod ... i/crespone

Thus my search for Sherry wine....
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Sun Jan 03, 2021 05:16

And thank you for the pointers on high acidity wines. In a lot of my salamis I have been using Chianti which is a high acid wine made from Sangiovese Grapes.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 03, 2021 07:49

Might work if you dose in small amounts. And with all due respect to Columbus products, (I liked most of their stuff), this crespone is a bit far fetched and far from the original. Sherry is probably unheard of in northern Italy . The only people that I know who drink sherry are Brits who sit by the fireplace and talk only about the weather.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 03, 2021 07:55

Indaswamp wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 05:16
In a lot of my salamis I have been using Chianti which is a high acid wine made from Sangiovese Grapes
I bought 225lbs of Sangio grapes this fall. Good Brix and the wine is just about finished the malolactic fermentation. Will be transferring it to a barrel next week. Grapes came from a high production grower, but the numbers are good and it has potential. Might blend it with 15% merlot.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Sun Jan 03, 2021 22:27

redzed wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 07:49
Might work if you dose in small amounts. And with all due respect to Columbus products, (I liked most of their stuff), this crespone is a bit far fetched and far from the original. Sherry is probably unheard of in northern Italy . The only people that I know who drink sherry are Brits who sit by the fireplace and talk only about the weather.
Ah...I do like your reasoning. Since I would like to recreate an original version, which wine would you recommend?

Also, how similar is Crespone to Milano? Is the only difference the casing it is put in?
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jan 04, 2021 08:16

Indaswamp wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 22:27
Since I would like to recreate an original version, which wine would you recommend?
I did a lot of searching for an authentic recipe and settled on Ruhlman and Polcyn's (with amendments).
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8514&hilit=crespone
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Mon Jan 04, 2021 16:18

Thank you redzed.