Water Activity and percent weight loss

Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Water Activity and percent weight loss

Post by Indaswamp » Mon Feb 01, 2021 16:55

I realize that this will be a rough estimate using weight loss to approximate Water Activity, and the lower the fat content of the salami meat paste, the higher the water activity will be at 30% weight loss. All of my salamis are between 25-30% fat content. My question is what would be the theoretical Aw @30% weight loss?

2.25% salt
0.3% cure #2
All pork 70/30 lean to fat
Ph drop to 5.11 upon fermentation

30% weight loss is roughly 50% of the water removed...correct?

Can this estimation even be done? I've seen butterbean's thread with the charted Aw, but that was only 14% fat used so the salami had more water in it from the start...
fordtruckbeast
User
User

Re: Water Activity and percent weight loss

Post by fordtruckbeast » Sun Apr 10, 2022 09:05

Indaswamp wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 16:55
I realize that this will be a rough estimate using weight loss to approximate Water Activity, and the lower the fat content of the salami meat paste, the higher the water activity will be at 30% weight loss. All of my salamis are between 25-30% fat content. My question is what would be the theoretical Aw @30% weight loss?

2.25% salt
0.3% cure #2
All pork 70/30 lean to fat
Ph drop to 5.11 upon fermentation

30% weight loss is roughly 50% of the water removed...correct?

Can this estimation even be done? I've seen butterbean's thread with the charted Aw, but that was only 14% fat used so the salami had more water in it from the start...

İ think itll be difficult because the diameter of your salami also is important. Other factors like ph and how much fat was used is also a factor. İ think just weighing would be best or getting a water activity meter if you have the means