Fuet - beginner texture question

hetyu

Fuet - beginner texture question

Post by hetyu » Wed Dec 29, 2021 14:08

Hi All,

Newbie here but a lover of charcuteries for along time!

Just made my very first salami, a Fuet, at the 19th of November this year. Recipe was the following:
Pork 1600g (80%)
Back fat 400g (20%)
Cure#2 5g (0,24%)
Salt 50g (2,39%)
Whitepepper 10g (0,48%)
Table sugar 5g (0,24%)
Fresh garlic 20g (0,96%)
white wine 100ml
Fermented with Bactoferm Safepro Flora Italia LC and Bactoferm mold 600 was applied on the surface of the salamis at the begging of drying.

Tasted it a couple of days ago, like it very much and I'm not dead or sick (yet) so considering it as a success for now! :lol:

Question:
The product itself is tasty, looks, smells and feels good although there is one aspect I'm not quite sure about - the texture of the fat particles in the salami feels very soft, almost spreadable. Usually in other salamis I wasn't able to notice this level of smoothness, the fat always felt nearly as firm as the meat portions.
I'm not sure if this fat texture is Ok/desirable or sign of a mishandling or a fault that needs to be fixed before the next batch. I've made a video about it, might give you a better view what I've just described above:
:arrow: https://youtu.be/QQNjTsfuJ6o?t=50

I would appreciate any helpful comments / advices on this topic as seemingly I'm struggling to decide if it is actually normal with home made salamis or correction is required at my end. Thanks!
redzed

Re: Fuet - beginner texture question

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 30, 2021 04:25

Other than maybe a tad too much sugar, your ingredients are fine and the fuet looks very well in the video. However, there is alot more to a recipe than the ingredients. Please describe the cuts of meat you used and the process, curing, grinding fermenting, drying etc. And what was the temp of the fuet in the video?