Marianski spanish sausage book

Cubatahavana

Marianski spanish sausage book

Post by Cubatahavana » Fri Feb 25, 2022 13:36

Hello!
Some of the recipes for fry sausages in marianski’s spanish sausage book call for the use of cure 1 instead of 2. I was under the impression that cure 2 is used in dried sausages. I’m just a total beginner, so I would like to ask your opinion.

See attached recipe for txistorra as an example:
Attachments
769F76E5-6BD2-49B9-935D-33EBFE8BA7DD.jpeg
redzed

Re: Marianski spanish sausage book

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 04, 2022 07:37

Hey Cuba welcome to the group. That particular sausage is stuffed into sheep casings and it will dry very quickly compared to sausages that need a longer time to dry and mature. Cure #1 has nitrite only and Cure #2 contains nitrite and nitrate. The nitrite cures the sausage very quickly but the nitrates require a longer period of time to convert to nitrite and then their main function is as an antioxidant to maintain the colour and freshness of the sausage. You therefore don't need nitrates if the product will be dried and consumed in less than six weeks. The quick and dirty rule of thumb is to use #1 for anything under 4 weeks and #2 for anything over that. However, if you will be vac sealing and storing your Chistorra for longer periods of time after drying, using #2 is a better idea.