Bio Cultures by Chr. Hansen

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Apr 29, 2016 15:54

Fermento, sometimes sold as a "starter culture" adds an acidic tang to sausages. And I believe was popularized by Rytek in Great Sausage Recipes http://www.myspicesage.com/fermento-p-1248.html

You can also use encapsulated citric acid
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php ... cts_id=896

Or GDL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucono_delta-lactone

All are substitutes for flavor only and are mostly used in cooked products.
Africantanman

Re: Bio Cultures by Chr. Hansen

Post by Africantanman » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:46

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've posted.
So I have just pulled a batch of fuet with pine nuts after 5 weeks. I used TD-66 as the starter culture and Mold 600 as the surface mould and quite frankly I am very very happy with batch apart from one thing: the salami tastes great but there is quite an overpowering cheesy/mushroomy flavour. I've searched high and low for possible reasons (the internet has not been forthcoming) but I have a feeling it might be my starter culture. It is one of the very few you can get here in South Africa unfortunately, and I have a feeling I would have not gotten such a pronounced cheesy taste to the salami had I used T-SPX or Flora Italia. Am I on the right track with this? Or is there another reason for the taste. Thank you for your help! :D
jym571
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jym571 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:52

Good morning,Yesterday they gave me an envelope from a CHR HANSEN SafePro RTE culture. Does anyone know what it is used for? Greetings, thanks for your help.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:30

SafePro is a line of cultures by Ch Hansen designed to combat Listeria in Ready To Eat products. There should also be a name on the envelope ( like FL-C) which would tell us what the culture is used for.
jym571
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jym571 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 17:24

Bob K wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:30
SafePro is a line of cultures by Ch Hansen designed to combat Listeria in Ready To Eat products. There should also be a name on the envelope ( like FL-C) which would tell us what the culture is used for.
unfortunately it does not bring anything
Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dave in AZ » Mon May 13, 2024 19:11

Chr Hansen got bought by Novozymes, lactose cultures businesses rolled together as new merger called "Novonesis".
I called them this week, my old Chr Hansen tech support number... the service level has dropped terribly. You used to be able to call and ask tech support questions for their cultures. They have removed that, redirected me to "customer service" who knew zero about their cultures. Their answer was that all technical questions would be answered by my direct supplier, not them. Soo... they expect Walton's or TheSausageMaker to be tech experts on the culture. That is of course never going to be true.

I was calling to see how LFP did at fermenting maltodextrin, or any data on artificial sweetener Splenda issues, where a fluffed maltodextrin variant is used to provide volume for the actual sucralose sweetener. Maltodextrin is a catch all phrase for numerous different chain length chemicals, which other countries label as corn syrup, corn syrup solids, etc depending on chain length. In the US, it is all grouped together on labels, despite some being zero calories and presumably non-fermentable (splenda maltodextrin) versus some that is actually used in published culture growth experiments where lactic acid bacteria see lower pH results. And some has higher glycemic index for diabetics than glucose! So the use of unspecified maltodextrin types as fluffer in artificial sweetener splenda makes its use to provide residual sweetness in fermented product questionable. I will post results after experimenting.

In any case, this is an example of the sort of question the old company would answer and provide a tech spec sheet for. Usually various fermentable sugars vs pH levels at a temperature, over time. And of course, retail suppliers have zero idea about this sort of tech question.

I am hopeful culture availability and pricing will remain good, but fear the availability of expertise on the product has disappeared.