Project "P" (Pepperoni)

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 03:07

Topic split 7.11.11@20:04 by Chuckwagon. See continuation at post: "But Grandpa Didn't Use Cures Or Cultures" in forum: "Microbiology Of Meats"
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 21:55

Hey all
Ok so now my project P has been 20 days. I sliced a piece open to take a taste test, taste pretty darn good! I have made a dry cured pepperoni in the past and when the drying stage was complete, I waited for the right outside temperature, (mainly at night time, this time of year) and cold smoked the pepperoni. It came out great and had a good smoke flavor. I think I will try the same with a few of these pepperonis.

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 13, 2011 22:40

Looks like pepperoni. Nice work.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 22:46

Uwanna, That is some of the best lookin' sausage I've seen in a long time! Even the photograph looks delicious. Congratulations ol' timer. Very well done!
By the way, are you able to see (now that we're nearing the end of the project) how all the "little" factors all add up to make everything go just right? It seems like the success of the end product is sticking to the rules and making all the small correct procedures work together.
Did you use T-SPX on this batch Wally? Seems that the drying period was pretty quick. Is the meat tangy? Wow, Uwanna... you can be proud of this batch! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 23:07

Yeah I did use SPX. But these casing are the 1.5" diameter, I went with what I had. As for the dry cure projects, each time I make a batch of sausage, I seem to pickup new tips and information each time. The end of the week, evening temps here are suppose to be down around the low 50`s, this is when I will cold smoke a few of these pepperonis.

Thanks guys
Wally
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 07:48

Hi Guys,
I just got an email from our buddy Rand. I'm excited to report his success. Allow me to share the email with you.
Hey Chuckwagon,
I have had my pepperoni drying for a little over 5 weeks. It is looking so good that I had to try some yesterday and man was it fantastic. It got me so excited that I just made up a batch of salami finocchiona.
I also have a leg of lamb drying and it is looking good also. It has another 5 weeks to go.
Rand
That is terrific news Rand, and we're are all happy about your success! Keep it up.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 17:06

Good job Rand! Yes sir that is some of the best peperoni I have tasted!
Rand
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rand » Fri Oct 07, 2011 18:48

uwanna61, I saw a recipe posted for soppressatta and I believe you posted it but I can not find it now. It call for cornsyrup solids. Can you help me?

Rand
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 21:53

Hi Rand
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ht=project
I believe this might be the recipe (above) you are talking about. It was actually posted by Chuckwagon. I actually will be making a batch, the end of this weekend. I`m thinking of making this recipe with a semi fermented formula, just to speed things up! I`ll let you know how it comes out.
If you give this recipe a try, let us know how it turns out for you.
Chow
Wally
Rand
Beginner
Beginner

sopressatta

Post by Rand » Tue Oct 11, 2011 02:38

Thanks Wally, that was the correct recipe. Just made a batch this morning and it is in the fermentation chamber. Will let you know in a couple of months how it turns out.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 02:47

Rand
Sounds good, I`m making the same recipe tomorrow evening, but will use the LHP culture, the curing time will be a little quicker. I will do the same and update you on how things turn out.
Chow
Wally
Rand
Beginner
Beginner

sopressatta

Post by Rand » Tue Oct 11, 2011 02:51

what is the bacterferm you are using and are the amounts the same as in the first recipe?
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 03:03

Rand
The Bactofirm is the LHP, you would use cure#1 with this culture and the fermentations temps and times are slightly different than the SPX culture. You can read all about these Bactofirm cultures at the Sausagemaker.com web site. The curing times are shorter also, but as mentioned on my previous post, using LHP gives the salami a slight tang flavor. I actually like the tang flavor in my salami, not to mention the curing time is within a couple of weeks.
Wally
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 04:42

Hi Guys,
I`ve listed 20 different Bactoferm™ Cultures according to their speed and fermenting temperature at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4796
Due to the 6 month expiration period on most cultures, most sausage supply houses carry only a single culture from each category of slow, medium, fast, and added bio-culture offering further protection from listeria monocytogenes. Chr. Hansen also offers a mold producing culture.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:26

Rand
I thought about our conversation and wanted to clarify. The reason I`m using the LHP and cure#1 is I will attempt a semi fermented soppressatta recipe. I will use the same spice and ingredients, this will be a test on my part and I`m curious on the turn out.
Chow
Wally