Len Poli Recipe Salami Sticks

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Len Poli Recipe Salami Sticks

Post by Devo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 22:47

Got these going, will see how they turn out.

The Mix

The Stuffing, with sheep casings

First 5 lbs. done

10 lbs. getting Incubated for 12 hours or so

The scale said it is ready but I am going to give it a couple more days. The reason behind my decision is the first weight I believe to be off. I really should have waited till it dried some as most of the weight I believe came from surface water. So a couple more days won't hurt.

Well I could not wait any longer. Here they are. Turned out excellent and taste very nice. I would add more hot spices to it next time other than that its a winner in my books.

11 bags of ten
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Oct 05, 2013 07:59

Great stuff Devo, really a nice job. I once tried to use a Len Poli recipe for some Hungarian Kolbacz I made. I had to write the entire recipe down on paper, it would not allow me to even copy and paste it into Word. You'd have thought I was trying to steal money from the guys bank account, not just get a sausage recipe. Anyway, nice work! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sat Oct 05, 2013 09:15

Devo,
what a fine job you've done with them!
This recipe will be one of the first on my list when I have my curing chamber operational.
Alas, logistics ensure that that will be a project for next year. It's spring here, and I am flat out rebuilding the veggie garden and preparing for the planting. Not even time to make sausages at the moment. (And I ate the last Italian sausages today for lunch!)
Best wishes Ursula
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 18:21

sawhorseray wrote:Great stuff Devo, really a nice job. I once tried to use a Len Poli recipe for some Hungarian Kolbacz I made. I had to write the entire recipe down on paper, it would not allow me to even copy and paste it into Word. You'd have thought I was trying to steal money from the guys bank account, not just get a sausage recipe. Anyway, nice work! RAY
Ray I understand your frustration with trying to copy his PDF files. He has them protected and you would think they all where his idea. I don;t think one man can have so many ideas/recipes and call them his.

Thank fully there is a little program I use to convert his PDF files to microsoft word and you can copy, change rewrite the whole dang thing if you want.
Here is a link to the program. Its a portable program and needs no registration.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B01hFAD ... sp=sharing
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Oct 05, 2013 19:21

Thanks a lot Devo, I've saved that site, it should come in real handy! What I really don't understand about the Poli site is that the guy sets up a site to share recipes, and then makes it a pain-in-the-butt to obtain them. Geez, you'd think he'd found a cure for the common cold. It's just sausage, not rocket science. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 19:30

Your welcome Ray

Just a note on his recipes, at least the ones I have tried. You really need to think about the steps in the recipe. He does not offer much help. You really have to be a mind reader with some of the times he has laid out but other than that I enjoy seeing different recipes and than doing my own research on them.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sun Oct 06, 2013 03:09

Devo,
Did you smoke them? They have such a lovely colour to them.
Ursula
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 09:37

Why tell US about Len Poli?
Why not tell Len Poli about Len Poli?
We don't need his stuff anyway!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 13:10

Chuckwagon wrote:Why tell US about Len Poli?
Why not tell Len Poli about Len Poli?
We don't need his stuff anyway!
And this is helpful information?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Oct 06, 2013 15:07

Devo-

In the first pic of your fermenting/curing chamber there appears to be a humidifier and a heater, what is in the second pic?

Those look great!!!

Seems to me as a beginner at fermented sausages that the short drying time would be a great step between fast fermented sausage like pepperoni and the product that takes longer to cure.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 16:02

Bob K wrote:Devo-

In the first pic of your fermenting/curing chamber there appears to be a humidifier and a heater, what is in the second pic?

Those look great!!!

Seems to me as a beginner at fermented sausages that the short drying time would be a great step between fast fermented sausage like pepperoni and the product that takes longer to cure.
The first picture is when I was incubating the salami. The black ceramic heater is used to get the temp to where i wanted it. The unit beside it is a very strong cool misting shower humidifier to get the R/H up to where I needed.

Now after the incubation period I run a small dehumidifier (the one on the left hand side) and a larger cool misting humidifier (which I did not use). This time of the year the R/H is up around 70-80% and I needed a R/H of 60-65% so my little dehumidifier and a small exhaust fan on the side of the cooler ran all the time trying to bring down the R/H. Its not a big deal to get to 60-65 R/H, it just takes a little longer to dry.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 07, 2013 05:04

Devo those salami sticks look good enough to eat! :lol: Good job!

I have been looking at making them for a while, but I think I will use #32 hog casings. Which culture did you use? I can't quite make it out from the pic. 12 hours fermentation is quite fast, is there much tang in the taste? What were your pH readings? Reason I'm asking is that I did some pepperoni a couple of weeks ago, fast fermented it and it's a bit too sour.

Thanks,
Chris
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 09:58

redzed wrote:Devo those salami sticks look good enough to eat! :lol: Good job!

I have been looking at making them for a while, but I think I will use #32 hog casings. Which culture did you use? I can't quite make it out from the pic. 12 hours fermentation is quite fast, is there much tang in the taste? What were your pH readings? Reason I'm asking is that I did some pepperoni a couple of weeks ago, fast fermented it and it's a bit too sour.

Thanks,
Chris
Bactoferm LHP Dry
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:44

Sorry, the PH was about 5.1 after 18 hours.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 07, 2013 13:34

It is recommended that Cure #1 be used with LHP. Is there a reason why you used #2?