Bactoferm FL-C for dry type salami

redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Feb 21, 2014 17:47

Perfect pH numbers and the chorizo looks good. Better go and watch the hockey game now. Go Canada!
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 18:16

Uhmm, mnjam, mnjam :razz:
Looks like the real thing Nic! They wouldn´t hang for long in my fridge...
And good that you didn´t go higher on temperature considering the quick pH drop!

Actually it makes me restate what I told a Polish technologist earlier today on the topic of chorizo production; One should always take into account that the natural ground sweet red bell pepper/sweet paprika also contains a (somewhat unforseeable) amount of fermentable sugar which may eventually add to the tang (...may I ask you how much this recipe calls for pr. kg meat ?). And my bet is that with the two acidifying strains in combination -especially the Curvatus, you may experience a bit more tang than if you had used a T-SPX. OK that is only a guess but it could be a bit interesting if you would make the same chorizo some time again with same temp and dex addition but using T-SPX instead of F-LC.
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by NicolasR » Fri Feb 21, 2014 18:34

I will go back to TSP-X for my next batch that's for sure...what a quick drop !

I guess a bit more tang in the chorizo (considering all the spices etc) will probably be ok if not totally good !

Starting point was the S. Marianski recipe but I changed the spices to fit my taste. This is what I used (by the kilo).

So for 1000 grams of meat/fat:

30 grams salt
2,5 grams cure #2
3 grams Dextrose

3 grams Black Pepper
15 grams Sweet Pimenton (smoked paprika)
10 grams Chopped garlic
3 grams hot pepper
1.5 grams Oregano