Soft sopressata

NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Soft sopressata

Post by NicolasR » Fri Mar 14, 2014 01:16

Hi

I started a batch of sopressata about 5 weeks ago. (See my other topic for the Ph drop story). It has now lost 35% weight but feels really really soft...Any thoughts on why this would happen ?

Thanks
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 03:18

Hi Nicolas,
A mushy center after 35% weight loss is not uncommon and it will probably straighten itself out as you store it after a small period of time. Unless it has developed a hardened case, it should be alright. Give it just a bit more time and see what happens. If it is still mushy after further drying, then you may have had a problem with any of the following.

Over-working at mixer, chopper or grinder.
Excessive fat extension.
Insufficient salt level or no salt added.
Spoiled raw materials.
Proteolytic microbial contaminant.

However, these are the extremes and I place them here only for your reference. Give your sausage just a bit more time, then get back to us. How about a photo or two?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by NicolasR » Fri Mar 14, 2014 14:47

Thanks CW

I will try to put a picture later on. But they look good, with white chalky mold. Not typical for sopressata but I like mold !

My chamber is currently at 13 Celsius 75-80 % humidity...Should I move the sausage to a drier place or leave it there ?
NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by NicolasR » Sat Mar 22, 2014 22:55

Update:

I just threw the sopressata in the garbage. I decided to cut into one and the interior was really mushy and smelled bad, rancid.

Seems like the culture did not work and on top of that, the salami showed clear signs of case hardening.

Well...I'll start another batch next week !
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 04:31

Ouch! I'm sorry it didn't work out for you pal. How old was the culture? Did you deep freeze it? Did you use distilled water with the culture? (Fluoride in your local water will really mess up the bacterial growth in the starter culture). There are so many variables here that it could be one or more of several causes. Back up and hit it again! Don't get discouraged. Learn from the mistakes. Eat all your brocolli and use fresh Bactoferm™ and Mold 600. Monitor the temperatures carefully and provide a bit of air exchange inside the chamber and you should be alright. The success of air-dried sausage depends completely upon observing all the little rules and procedures and following them to the letter. When folks start to "cut corners" because of convenience, it usually goes south! All the little "tricks" have been discovered over the centuries and there is a strictly-defined procedure with rules to keep. Now... get back on your horse and brush off the dust. Your buckle "jes don't shine" in the dirt! You can do it pal. Try again. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NicolasR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by NicolasR » Wed Mar 26, 2014 02:24

Thanks Chuckwagon

I did use distilled water with the tsp-x. I ordered it online and it took forever to be delivered. I'm guessing it's either a bad "batch" or it died during transport. Anyways, I threw out the package and started a new batch using some FLC I had. Works pretty fast (maybe too much) but it certainly lowers the Ph to a safe point.

I prefer the mild taste I get with tsp-x but on very spicy sausage the FLC gives a good taste if fermenting at low temps. 19 celcius.

I tasted some chorizo I made a while ago with FLC and they taste great !
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 02:55

Thanks for the update Nicolas, Please keep us posted on how your projects go. Wish you the best of luck pal.
May I ask which recipe you used for the sopressata?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon