Making Salami in Thailand

fongnam1016

Re: Making Salami in Thailand

Post by fongnam1016 » Tue May 18, 2021 15:02

Thank you so much redzed. Really appreciate the response and I will certainly look into this. I've been able to order a Salumi kit from Umai, and they are shipping me some T-SPX. They are the only business I've found that is willing to ship cultures internationally and they only have T-SPX. I will test and compare T-SPX slow ferment/dry, with probiotic blend fast ferment/dry.

I was looking through your older experiment in 2014, where you mentioned "In retrospect I probably should have fermented at a lower temp and a slower ferment. A fast pH drop will probably result in a sour taste. I should also add here that I added 2g of dextrose and 2g of corn syrup solids to 1kg of meat. I am itching to make another batch but don't want to spend all that time washing and cleaning after a small batch of sausage." (http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=15). I was wondering why the suggestion for 32-25 C and 6g of dextrose, is it to achieve a high level of tangy flavor found in pizza pepperonis? If so, what acidity should I aim for to achieve that flavor?

I will also look into GDL and citric acid. Do you recommend they be used alongside the probiotic blend, or by itself? I can probably look this up myself so no need to answer if it's a rookie question.

Thanks again!!

Nam
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 22, 2021 16:17

Sounds like you want to make a traditional Italian pepperoni which is fermented and dried rather than the American version which is fermented (or soured in a different way), hot smoked and semi dried. The American version is the one we usually get on pizza. As to the amount of sugars, 6g/kg usually should take pH down to around 4.8, which will produce a tang. But with using probiotic formulations or yogourt you really won't know what the result will be. Even with using commercial starters the results are never exactly the same because the meat is different from each carcass. Other factors also play a role in the outcome. I would still ferment at over 25C if using probiotics, Optimum temp for the bacteria is usually closer to 40C. The other thing to keep in mind is that while the bacteria found in probiotic capsules may have the same names as the bacteria in commercial starters, they are different strains and will behave differently. All I can say is do a a bit of experimentation with small batches and see what the difference will be when you get the T-SPX. Please post your results here so that others could benefit from your experience.
fongnam1016

Post by fongnam1016 » Sun May 23, 2021 12:55

Sounds good redzed, I will post in here once my equipment arrives and I begin my process! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

To your point about Italian pepperoni, my hope is to make American pepperoni; however, TSPX is the only commercial culture I can get my hands on from Taiwan. I understand that this culture is typically used for slow fermentation, which would result in a less tangy and more traditional flavor. But I was wondering, if it's possible (and advisable) to ferment T-SPX at a higher temperature and intentionally increasing the ph to achieve a more tangy flavor?
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon May 24, 2021 16:52

When fermenting, it's the temperature which determines the speed of the the fermentation and the amount of carbohydrate drives the the pH drop and acid. A slightly lower pH is also attained when the fermentation temp is higher. Although designed to ferment slower and at a lower temp, you can certainly use TSP-X to produce a product where you will taste the acid. As always, a bit of experimentation is needed and the results are not always the same, but start with adding dextrose or sucrose at .62g for every .1 of the pH you want to achieve. So if your starting pH is 5.9 and you want a pH of 4.8, add 6.8g of sugars. Ferment at a slightly higher temp than what is applied in fermenting traditional salami. 25 degrees should work, it will start the fermentation sooner and provide a layer of safety. In a traditional salami the pH usually rises during the drying process, but in making a pizza pepperoni you will be smoke cooking it and the process will halt all bacterial and enzymatic activity.