Pancetta project.

Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Pancetta project.

Post by Tom » Tue Dec 08, 2015 19:43

Just tried my Pancetta after the 20th day mark in my curing chamber. Looks good but the Pancetta is very tough even when sliced thin. The fat is nice and soft. Is that a cause of the curing or did I do something wrong. This is a Len Poli's recipe followed to the letter. I tried to post photo's but couldn't do to a forum thing :?: Also it's a bit salty can it be soaked in cold water to remove some salt or is it to late? Any thoughts on tough meat and salt? Tom
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Dec 08, 2015 20:41

Tom wrote:I tried to post photo's but couldn't do to a forum thing
This forum server does not host picture files. The best way to post pictures is to use www.photobucket.com and copy the link for the image to the text field of the forum post.
The image link starts with (IMG)

There is a video on how here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5324

Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Tue Dec 08, 2015 20:53

Thanks Bob k but i don't do Facebook and don't need another complicated sign up software just for a photo. :roll: Not worth the effort. I'll stick to text. :grin:
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 09, 2015 08:55

Hi Tom,
You certainly can soak the pancetta in cold water to remove some of the salt, and you can use it for cooking. The texture and flavour will probably be different. As to why your pancetta is tough, it's hard to say but I would guess that you used a lean commercial pork belly which was lean. And what you have is only bacon, prepared in Italian style, and it's still raw meat, so it will be chewy. Next time you do a pancetta use the equilibrium cure method, that way you will not over salt it. Take a look at this blog: https://ourdailybrine.com/how-to-make-r ... ta-recipe/
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 13:56

Thanks Redzed and yes the belly was very lean. The pigs are slaughtered in North Carolina and I get the pig within 3 days of that. The butcher said all the pigs they are getting now are very lean for some reason. It does make great regular bacon. I have several more in the freezer and will be trying the equilibrium cure method. I will be soaking them to try and remove some salt; good experiment for me. Tom