First Coppa

Butterbean

Re: First Coppa

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 16, 2020 17:46

Looking good. They do throw off some strange aromas at times. I love to smell their progression. I like it the most when it smells like cheese but once got a floral bouquet I thought interesting. I think you made a good choice dusting the outside with paprika as this should make it look really nice. Keep showing the progression.
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Day 21 in Chamber

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 17:15

So, we're on day 21 of having the coppa drying in my chamber. Temp and humidity are staying well within ranges, so I'm really happy that's working well. Not a ton of change visually with the coppa, and I think I can feel a mild difference in give when I squeeze it. A long way to go though! The two pieces are at 17% and 18% loss at this point. For you experienced folks, does this seem like a reasonable rate of drying at week 3? The chorizo are 29% and 26% loss in week 2 (32mm hog casings so expected to go quicker!)

rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 16:31

Ok, I missed last week's update....kinda on purpose since the coppa don't really look any different. Just a lovely white, and a bit lighter. :) The two pieces have lost 20% and 22% of their weight so far on day 28. I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 6-8 weeks to go.....

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 27, 2020 19:42

Looks like things are unfolding as they should. Are you getting any ammonia smell from your chamber?
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 19:50

redzed wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 19:42
Looks like things are unfolding as they should. Are you getting any ammonia smell from your chamber?
Thanks, I'm happy with progress so far. I didn't get any ammonia smell until I loaded my Lomo and Pancetta into the chamber (at week 3 for the coppa), but it only lasted a day or so. I still have the dirty sock aroma going on, but I know that's just the penicillin mold as I had a similar smell when I was ripening brie (during my brief stint as a cheese maker.)

I try to air the chamber out by swinging the door 2-3 times a day (pretty easy to do since we don't go anywhere.....), but have plans to build a larger cabinet with a fan on a timer to do that for me. :)

R
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 16:32

This project is still going well (as far as I can tell.) When I took everything out for the weekly weigh-in this morning, the coppa were definitely getting firmer, though they are still squeezable. The aromas coming out of the chamber are a bit less pronounced than when the failed chorizo were in there. A slight ammonia smell, and that good white mold/salami type of aroma. The coppa are now at 27% loss in weight from when they came out of the cure. I'm having fun, but am really wanting to get a taste of one of these guys......three weeks at the earliest is my guess......

redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 08, 2021 18:01

I like that smell too. If you start getting a strong ammonia smell turn dow the temp a bit, and lightly brush off some of the mould. Mould is most beneficial during the early process. What changes did you make to your chorizo compared to the last one?
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 18:40

redzed wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 18:01
I like that smell too. If you start getting a strong ammonia smell turn dow the temp a bit, and lightly brush off some of the mould. Mould is most beneficial during the early process. What changes did you make to your chorizo compared to the last one?
I'll file that tip away if the ammonia picks up. No chorizo going currently, the smaller product is a Finochionna that I started at the end of the calendar year. The biggest changes in the process from when I made the chorizo were (1) using a pH meter during fermentation, and (2) use of a culture (T-SPX). The Fino seems to be coming along well. It did not get sticky like the chorizo did, so there's definitely something different between the two that I wouldn't think has anything to do with the fact that one was cased in 32mm hog casing, and the other (Fino) is in 60mm beef middles. Time will tell! :) The Fino is at 21% weight loss after 9 days in the curing chamber.

The Lomo and Pancetta are going VERY slowly (7% and 5% respectively.) I expected them to be slow due to their size, as well as the significant fat content in each.

Fun stuff!

R
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Fri Jan 08, 2021 18:57

Looks great!

I'm a little nervous because I didn't put a casing on my Coppa. I have some dried 50cmx50cm dried hog casing that I could of used but its 5 years old and I am not sure if it needs to be rehydrated or not.
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 22:28

I'm back with another (not very exciting) weigh-in on the Coppa! They are both up to about 31% weight loss. A couple of weeks ago, I brushed off a fair bit of mold and dropped the chamber temp a couple of degrees to try and combat some of the ammonia production. I don't think that did much, as every piece in the chamber smells quite distinctly of ammonia. No matter, I will keep forging ahead, maybe circulating the air in the chamber a bit more often. I think everything looks good, so hopefully I'm making something that we will like to actually eat!! :) The Finochionna is about done, so I'll post about that elsewhere......

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Jan 23, 2021 00:24

Looking great!
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 00:05

Well, folks, the first coppa is done! I checked the two pieces I have hanging for firmness today, and I decided that the smaller one was done. It finished up at just shy of 36% weight loss, and, while it is a touch on the salty side, I would call it a complete success. Cured all the way through, great red color, love the marbling, texture is just great (very reminiscent of prosciutto) and it is quite tasty (I've tried it solo, and also cooked some up in a frying pan.) There's just a hint of the curing spices that come through, and I think the only thing I would do differently next time is to soak the coppa a bit after it comes out of the cure to reduce some of the saltiness that seems concentrated on the outsides.......I would also do a couple of different spice preparations, rather than both pieces the same way.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement along the way, I'm quite pleased!

Best,
Rich
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed Feb 03, 2021 01:30

IMHO - cross cut looks very nice also very "fresh/green" (maybe picture showing). Coppa is not easy meat to cure/maturing. It has a layers of intermuscular fat to prevent right osmosis process. From my experience is good to keep coppa to 42-45 % of weight lose ( if you will use vac-pack to equalize moisture content then). Most ammonia smell is from salamis or fermented meats because P. nalgiovence is using lactic acid for metabolic purposes where ammonia is one of byproducts.
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 01:43

Stefan, it is definitely cured, I think it's just the picture. It is definitely red, though! To my inexperienced eye it looks like it cured fully, and evenly, and I don't see any excess drying at the edges. I do have a second one hanging that I'll take to at least 40%, but I'm very happy with it at 36%.

Thanks!

R
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed Feb 03, 2021 19:01

My apologies if you misread my post - I did not say that it not cured or not matured right. On picture cross cut is "shiny" so IMHO is should be matured a little longer. If you are happy with it - i'm happy with you. Otherwise it looks great - and no dry ring visible.