First time Kabanos! Need Some Advice

so_not_rad
Beginner
Beginner

First time Kabanos! Need Some Advice

Post by so_not_rad » Thu Jan 28, 2021 06:16

Hello all!
I've been living away from Poland for about 17 years now, and I've very much missed Kabanosy.
I've been quite successful with making Kielbasa, but the little glorious sticks of meat have been haunting my dreams.
So i based myself on the meat and sausages website and this is my recipe:

Pork shoulder grind 12mm 65% 650.00
Pork shoulder grind 6mm15% 150.00
Pork fat grind 12mm 20% 200.00
Pepper .5% 5.00
Garlic 1% 10.00
Caraway .1% 1.00
Nutmeg .1% 1.00
Paprika Rose .15% 1.50

For procedures i've been watching the wedzarnicza brac videos and followed their instructions
Cure meat for 48 hours, Fat I don't cure (is that an issue?)- freeze both and then grind
Gently fold in all the spices into the meat as to not overmix.
Stuff in lamb casings and let dry for about 30-40 min (tropical temps here, so room temp is about 30C+)
Smoke (tamarind wood) without heat for about an hour (40-50C)
Increase temp to 70C until internal meat temperature is 61C.

This is my third batch now, and the fat always splits in my Kabanosy.
Every-time i make Kielbasa i don't have that issue, but Kabanos is always splitting for me.
Any advice would be much appreciated!
attaching some pics for evidence.
Attachments
IMG_0908.jpg
IMG_0909.jpg
IMG_0910.jpg
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: First time Kabanos! Need Some Advice

Post by DanMcG » Sat Jan 30, 2021 16:16

By splitting do you mean actually splitting the casing, or is that a term for fat out or rendered fat collecting under the casing. It sort of looks like that is what's happening.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 30, 2021 17:08

I also think that the issue here is fat rendering out of the sausage. Normally fat starts to render at around 77C, and the Kabanosy were smoked at 70C so it shouldn't be an issue. But smoking the Kabasosy is a bit problematic because the are a thin diameter sausage and usually the smoking time is not that long. In this case it might be caused by hot spots in the smoker especially if it is one of the smaller electric ones. To remedy this the sausage could be re-positioned during the smoking and dampers opened wider to increase the air flow so that the heat does not accumulate at the top. There is also a good amount of soft intramuscular fat in the shoulder which might render out at a lower temp. Classic Kabanosy are made from lean, Class I meat with the addition pork jowl (podgardle). And as to the smoking times and temperatures, are you sure that you are following the instructions on the Wędzarnicza Brać videos? Normally we smoke the Kabanosy right from the start with hot smoke (55C - 70C) for about 90 minutes, then finish by raising the heat to 85C - 90C for 20 to 30 minutes.
so_not_rad
Beginner
Beginner

Post by so_not_rad » Wed Feb 03, 2021 06:01

redzed wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 17:08
I also think that the issue here is fat rendering out of the sausage. Normally fat starts to render at around 77C, and the Kabanosy were smoked at 70C so it shouldn't be an issue. But smoking the Kabasosy is a bit problematic because the are a thin diameter sausage and usually the smoking time is not that long. In this case it might be caused by hot spots in the smoker especially if it is one of the smaller electric ones. To remedy this the sausage could be re-positioned during the smoking and dampers opened wider to increase the air flow so that the heat does not accumulate at the top. There is also a good amount of soft intramuscular fat in the shoulder which might render out at a lower temp. Classic Kabanosy are made from lean, Class I meat with the addition pork jowl (podgardle). And as to the smoking times and temperatures, are you sure that you are following the instructions on the Wędzarnicza Brać videos? Normally we smoke the Kabanosy right from the start with hot smoke (55C - 70C) for about 90 minutes, then finish by raising the heat to 85C - 90C for 20 to 30 minutes.
Yes that's what I was trying to say, It seems that the fat is rendering right away.
Thank you for your advice, will give it another shot this week and let you guys know!
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:28

It might be a good idea to verify that your smoker temp is accurate before you next batch goes in.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Wed Feb 03, 2021 15:50

I agree with DanMcG, analog thermometers are notoriously inaccurate, sometimes off by +-25*F. I would recommend a digital thermometer with probes.