Salame Calabrese with Cannabis

redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 13, 2021 20:51

Over the past few years I've been making marijuana infused salami and usually have some on hand. Five years ago, I described some of my earlier efforts in this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7751&hilit=sativa It's always a hit at gatherings and since we might once again be able to serve charcuterie to our friends in the foreseeable future, I prepared a new supply which will be ready in about two months. Once the salami is dried, vacuumed packed and refrigerated, it can stay for a indefinite period of time. I've tried a number of different spice formulations when adding cannabis to salami and it seems that the Calabrese style works best. It has a burst of flavours and heat that almost totally eliminates the rather unpleasant taste of marijuana. Barely a distant hint of the odour emanates and only a trained nose will detect it. The cannabis I used was decarbed and tested for THC in a laboratory, making it possible to calculate the amount in each serving. Heat treatment (decarboxylation) of the cannabis is necessary when making edible products. Without this process there would be no psychoactive effect. I added 1.5 grams of the decarbed cannabis per kilogram of meat. THC content was 18%, so with 35% weight loss there will be 270mg of THC in 650 grams of salami. 10mg is usually enough to give most people the desired effect, so one serving of salami will be 24 grams or almost an ounce. Of course the more experienced can treat themselves a little more. As you can see, 1.5 grams goes a long way when prepared this way. With a strong cheese like a pecorino this salami paired with a good Sangiovese is a match made in heaven.

Image Image

Recipe for 1kg
Meats

750g Class 1 pork, lean without connective tissue
250g hard back fat
Ingredients
22g fine sea salt
3g Cure #2
1.5g cannabis, decarbed and finely ground
2g white pepper
Calabrian pepper 3g
1g anise
1g ground fennel
2g granulated garlic
1.5g dextrose
1.5g sucrose
.5g s. erythorbate
30ml red wine
.5g Texel SA-301 starter culture
Bactoferm Mold-600
Process
1. Cube meat and fat, mix with salt, Cure#2, dextrose and refrigerate in a sealed container for 48 hours.
2. Freeze fat completely, leave the cubed and cured meat in freezer for one to two hours so that it it freezes partially.
3. Revive starter with small amount of distilled water and a pinch of dextrose. Add to meat within 20 minutes.
4. Grind everything through 6mm plate. If making a large amount grind half the meat through 10mm plate and the remainder, together with the fat through the 6mm. Do not grind fat separately.
5. Mix starter culture, spices and the cannabis with the meat. Keep ground meat cold, mix thoroughly, taking care not to over mix to avoid fat smearing. You may want to refrigerate the meat between the grinding, mixing and stuffing steps.
6. Stuff into 50-60mm protein lined casings or beef middles.
7. Ferment at a temp of 18-20C for 48-72 hours, until pH drops to 5.2. Be careful not to let the pH drop below 5 so that the salame does not taste sour. The Staphylococcus are also not effective in a high acid environment.
8. Mould starter optional, but recommended. Use approximately 3g per cup (200ml) of non chlorinated water. Allow 30 minutes before applying to the salami.
9. Hang for approximately 8 weeks at 12C and 80% RH, until a weight loss of 35% .
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Salame Calabrese with Cannabis

Post by Indaswamp » Sun Mar 14, 2021 04:21

Cannabis salami....

I have seen it all now...LOL! Never in a million years would I have thought to make that one. I don't partake...but I'm not judging....
bluc
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bluc » Sun Mar 14, 2021 05:17

You ever thought of doing an extraction with lard, like you would with butter then add that?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Mar 14, 2021 15:26

Sounds good! Salami edibles by Redzed. After a few hours your get togethers must get interesting :wink:

bluc wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 05:17
You ever thought of doing an extraction with lard, like you would with butter then add that?
I would go with an alcohol extraction and distribute with the wine.

Hmmm Canalard, interesting possibilities :idea:
magician176

Post by magician176 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 00:19

Indaswamp wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 04:21
Cannabis salami....

I have seen it all now...LOL! Never in a million years would I have thought to make that one. I don't partake...but I'm not judging....
Yeah, never thought of somebody going to such an extreme! :D
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Sun May 28, 2023 07:01

Doesn't the size prohibit lighting these, and reduced lung capacity of the elderly…….😁
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon May 29, 2023 20:30

snagman wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 07:01
Doesn't the size prohibit lighting these, and reduced lung capacity of the elderly…….😁
I think you'd have to be pretty stoned to try lighting a salami! :lol:
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Jun 03, 2023 20:20

I'm Ukrainian, my grand Parents came to Canada after the first world war. My Grandmother always had a large mason jar full of Cannabis for spices. It was used almost like basil. Never tried to smoke it but I am pretty sure it was not a strong strain back then. Must be why Ukraine is kicking Russian butt :)