Starting fermentation whilst salami is drying

Leesel
Beginner
Beginner

Starting fermentation whilst salami is drying

Post by Leesel » Sat Apr 24, 2021 08:08

Hey All,

I wanted to get some more salami going in my chamber this weekend. I only have one chamber which I use for both fermentation and drying, in time I hope to have one for each or at least two so I can juggle things about. Currently there is a coppa, a pancetta, some guanciale and some chorizo still drying in it but I wanted to make some sausison this weekend.
I dont know what to do for the best. Do I wait till they all dry which may be a few weeks even a month. Take them out and hang them in my house somewhere, my area is quite dry though, I have a few cheap humidity meters dotted about and they usually read around 35-45% which I’m assuming will encourage case hardening if I go down this route. Or my third option which is why I’m seeking all your advice is, if I leave them in the chamber and turn the temperature and humidity up to ferment will it spoil the whole muscle salami, will the chorizo go back into fermentation and become too tangy or will they all be absolutely fine.
As always any advice is much appreciated.
Many Thanks
Lee
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Starting fermentation whilst salami is drying

Post by fatboyz » Sat Apr 24, 2021 13:52

I don't have 2 chambers either. I have had good success doing my fermenting in a plastic tote with lid, like rubber made brand totes, in a warm spot. I put the salami in a clear plastic bag in the tote as this keeps the humidity up. Depending on our weather at the time I leave the tote in a warm spot or near the heater in my meat shed which will be 18-20C. This has worked well for me for salami and Landjaeger etc.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Apr 24, 2021 13:54

I agree with Ron.
Your best solution is to make a fermentation chamber. as simple as a cooler. That situation will come up continually.
If you want to ferment in your chamber I would take what is unfinished in your chamber place in a sealed container and refrigerate while you are at fermentation temps.
Mmmm Meat
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mmmm Meat » Sat Apr 24, 2021 17:04

fatboyz wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 13:52
I don't have 2 chambers either. I have had good success doing my fermenting in a plastic tote with lid, like rubber made brand totes, in a warm spot. I put the salami in a clear plastic bag in the tote as this keeps the humidity up. Depending on our weather at the time I leave the tote in a warm spot or near the heater in my meat shed which will be 18-20C. This has worked well for me for salami and Landjaeger etc.
Same here - tote with a 11 dollar rollout sink rack (to hang sausage from) and a15 dollar fish tank heater, which I only use when I need to go above 70 degrees. I'm going to move up to a deeper vertical depth garbage can or similar so I can hang 20 inch sausages.
Leesel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Leesel » Sat Apr 24, 2021 17:23

Brilliant thanks all. A trip to the DIY shop for me and the wife this weekend.
Leesel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Leesel » Sat Apr 24, 2021 17:24

fatboyz wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 13:52
Love the meat shed!