Curing Guanciale with sweetbreads attached?

so_not_rad
Beginner
Beginner

Curing Guanciale with sweetbreads attached?

Post by so_not_rad » Sat May 01, 2021 07:56

So here is something that i've been wondering about for a long time.
When I buy jowl cheek from my butcher, it always has a bit of the glands and sweetbreads attached. I always trim the outside parts of the glands but sometimes inside the layer of fat theres more of them. From looking at pictures online and watching videos I cannot figure out if its okay to leave them ?
From what I've read you're always supposed to remove them completely. But when seeing some photos of cured guanciales form Italy it seems like there are some glands still inside the guanciale.
Thoughts?
Attachments
guanciale.jpeg
guanciale 2.jpeg
redzed

Re: Curing Guanciale with sweetbreads attached?

Post by redzed » Sun May 02, 2021 17:52

Standard practice is to remove the glands. However, that's not always possible because there are so many scattered throughout the jowl. And yes, some cure the jowl glands and all. When adding to sausage it's recommended to trim out all the glands.
so_not_rad
Beginner
Beginner

Post by so_not_rad » Mon May 03, 2021 13:03

redzed wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 17:52
Standard practice is to remove the glands. However, that's not always possible because there are so many scattered throughout the jowl. And yes, some cure the jowl glands and all. When adding to sausage it's recommended to trim out all the glands.
Thanks!
Spoke to a fellow Italian chef, he said apparently as you said standard practice is to remove the glands. But lower quality producers will keep some of the glands to gain more. Quite interesting! I will mostly likely try on my next batch to leave one guanciale with some of the glands and see how much it will affect the flavor.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Mon May 03, 2021 14:30

Can you get at all of them without tearing the jowl all up? The small ones peppered throughout that middle layer may take a bit of digging around