Venison Landjaeger

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Venison Landjaeger

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 04, 2021 16:33

Made a batch of Venison Landjaeger this morning.
50% lean deer trim
30% pork shoulder
20% pork belly.
All ground once through 6mm plate.
Spices:
25g salt
2.5 g Cure #1 (I like to eat some after the cold smoke so that's why #1. if you didn't eat until dried then 2 would work)
1.5g ground Caraway
4g Black Pepper
1.5g toasted ground coriander
0.25g mace
2g dextrose
starter culture
5-6 g red wine

Mix all the spices and wine with all the meat. Mix well until a good farce is formed. Stuff into 32mm hog casings. Stuff a little loosely if pressing.
I made a press to put mine in while fermenting. I ferment for 2 days to a PH of about 5.1
After fermenting hang to dry then cold smoke for a good 8 hours. After cold smoking I hang in a cool place until they're as dry as you like them. For me usually 2 to 3 weeks.

When fermenting I put a clear bag in the press, and tightly pack the sausages in layers in the press. I put a piece of corrugated plastic (chloroplast from old election signs!) between the layers then close the bag and put the lid on the press. The bag keeps the press clean and keeps the humidity up.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Venison Landjaeger

Post by fatboyz » Mon Dec 06, 2021 01:11

In the cold smoke.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Dec 16, 2021 05:04

And they're ready. Also some Pfefferknacker I made (the little ones)
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 17, 2021 16:52

Looks great! Landjager is on my to-do list. I have some deer meat coming and my new curing chamber is finally running, so no excuses. Thanks for posting the recipe.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 18, 2021 01:22

They turned out real nice. Great with a nice crunchy apple!
yakman34

Post by yakman34 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 18:44

I have a question on making dried sausage, Can I ferment the meat before stuffing into casings, I will be using #2 curing salt and F-RM-52 culture for the sausage, Reason being is that i will be filling my smoker with summer sausage and smoked link sausage and as soon as those are finished i would like to smoke the dried sausage then leaving it to hang dry in the smoker, trying to get this all done in two days plus the drying time for the dried. Thanks in advance for the replies
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Jan 21, 2023 18:58

yakman34 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 18:44
I have a question on making dried sausage, Can I ferment the meat before stuffing into casings, I will be using #2 curing salt and F-RM-52 culture for the sausage, Reason being is that i will be filling my smoker with summer sausage and smoked link sausage and as soon as those are finished i would like to smoke the dried sausage then leaving it to hang dry in the smoker, trying to get this all done in two days plus the drying time for the dried. Thanks in advance for the replies
Why would you want to do that? Why not stuff in casings and leave to ferment while you are doing the other and when the summer sausage is finished smoke this?
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jan 23, 2023 08:00

Absolutely not. At around pH 5.2 gelification of the meat takes place. You can see that without using a pH meter. The meat, fat and water bind together to form a firm mass. This is what gives you the desirable texture and sliceability. If you do what you are propsing, you will have a crumbly sausage and possibly air pockets that could lead to spoilage. I don't know what exactly you are making, but you can smoke fermented sausages at any time after fermentation. So you can smoke the sausages when you have time. Also keep in mind if you are using #2, you should cold smoke only. The nitrates need the staph bacteria to break them down to nitrites. If you hot smoke you will kill the bacteria and there will be no benefit of using #2.