The new chamber is full and working great.

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

The new chamber is full and working great.

Post by fatboyz » Thu Dec 09, 2021 15:50

I acquired a medium sized drink cooler and its working excellent as a chamber. I have had a busy few weeks filling it up. Currently have 2 Capicolas' from a Hog I butchered earlier, a batch of Genoa (The nice white ones), a batch of smoked Venison salami, some Venison Mostbrockli, and down at the bottom is a 10 kg batch of my venison Landjaeger. (Separate post done on that.)
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The new chamber is full and working great.

Post by Scogar » Thu Dec 09, 2021 16:37

I have a similar cooler, anything you added or are you going manual? Looks like you are using a cup of water for humidity. I'm planning on adding switched heat and humidity, but haven't kicked the project off yet. Getting real tired of work and wondering if I too should join the Great Resignation :mrgreen:
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Thu Dec 09, 2021 22:58

Did you replace the original fan with a lower flow rate one? That's what I found worked for my unit.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Dec 10, 2021 02:37

I have temp and humidity through an inkbird controller. The humidity has been perfect right at 80% with the product I have in there plus the cup of water so didn't bother with the humidifier at this time. Because of our current winter conditions I keep my little meat shed heat set at 12C, so the chamber stays at a constant 10C on its own. When summer comes I'll have to see if I need to change out the fan. The Lions share of my products I make during the late fall early winter.
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Fri Dec 10, 2021 15:09

fatboyz wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 02:37
I have temp and humidity through an inkbird controller. The humidity has been perfect right at 80% with the product I have in there plus the cup of water so didn't bother with the humidifier at this time. Because of our current winter conditions I keep my little meat shed heat set at 12C, so the chamber stays at a constant 10C on its own. When summer comes I'll have to see if I need to change out the fan. The Lions share of my products I make during the late fall early winter.
The fan on some of those commercial fridges runs continuously, whether the compressor has kicked on or not. Mine is like that. I guess yours is not.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Dec 10, 2021 15:33

Correct, I had this one as my beer fridge in the basement and since the fan doesn't run all the time, only during cooling, I turned it into the chamber and bought another one for the beer fridge.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 13, 2021 18:54

Lorenzoid wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 15:09
The fan on some of those commercial fridges runs continuously, whether the compressor has kicked on or not. Mine is like that. I guess yours is not.
The evaporator fan does run continuosly in the commercial fridges, but only when it's plugged in directly to a wall socket and operating on the built in thermostat. When we convert the fridge to a curing chamber we run it through a different thermostat which simply switches the power on and off to the unit when cooling is necessary. The fan runs only during that period. 10 days ago I finally activated my commercial fridge model True T-23 and it cools very fast so the fan runs for only a few minutes per hour. I'm not sure whether switching it out with a little computer fan would make any difference.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Dec 13, 2021 20:28

When we had this one in the basement as a pop cooler it seemed to shut off when cold, but maybe it ran so low we didn't hear it. You're right though it does cool quick. We had a bit of a Chinook on Saturday while I was making head cheese and stuff in the shed. It got warmer in there and the ink bird turned it on. Only ran for a couple minutes to chill it down then shut off!