Suffolk Black Ham

Torrens Title

Suffolk Black Ham

Post by Torrens Title » Mon Aug 22, 2022 07:28

I am about to process a couple of Large English Black pigs for for my next Ham project I am keen to try one of these old English ham recipes. Online you can find a video of Emmett's of Peasenhall making them.

I have not found a similar recipe with my searches online so I would like to see if anyone on the forum has made something similar and the recipe and process that you used.

These hams also go by the name of Shropshire black hams.
Torrens Title

Re: Suffolk Black Ham

Post by Torrens Title » Tue Sep 13, 2022 07:55

I am still hoping to get some feedback from any of the experienced ham makers in the group.
With the Emmett's recipe he dry cures for 2 weeks before marinating the hams in black beer and Molasses for 6 weeks than cold smoking for 2 days.

I have only ever wet brined hams with a 7% pumping before. Can anyone see any issue with using a brine for the cure process before the 6 weeks marinade?

Further I live in a warm climate so I will be doing a slow hot smoke to finish.

Any advice or warnings before I jump in?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:23

Since you are drying the Ham it is not a good idea to brine it. There is a lot of info on dry curing Hams in this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8035 . More info on country hams here https://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-o ... ts/country
Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dave in AZ » Tue Sep 20, 2022 02:43

Holy cow, I used to live in Peasenhall for 3 yrs, about 1.2 miles from Emmets! Was over there with USAF. Walked past it most nights on my way to the pub!
Used to buy jams and such there, but never had the ham :( Now that I am into making cured meats, I sure wish I knew how special that place was way back when I lived there!
Torrens Title

Post by Torrens Title » Wed Sep 28, 2022 06:04

Thanks Bob,
In the end the 4 legs ended up at 4.6kg each. the green weight of the pigs was 40kg however being large English Black pigs that fat layer is perfect.
I have them curing with salt and fennel and cure 1 at the moment.
I have added 50gm per kg salt with 2/3 of the salt mix on day 0 with the last 1/3 to be added on day 7.
My plan for the marinade is 6 liters black porter beer, 2 liters Molasses and 2kg dark sugar. I will cook for an hour and cool before adding 2 liters of the mixture to a bag with each of the hams. 6 weeks or so in the marinade with daily turning before hot smoking.