Dextrose, Fermentation and pH drop

Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Dextrose, Fermentation and pH drop

Post by Indaswamp » Thu Sep 29, 2022 02:28

I am finding I rarely ever need more than 2.0grams/kg. of dextrose to drop the pH of pork Salami down to the safe zone below 5.3. And most times it is even less-especially when using pepper powders (cayenne, paprika, calabrian) and/or citrus peel. I have even made a Calabrian salami with no additional sugars added and the pH dropped to 5.07!
I find that cultures using Pediococcus Acidiactici are extremely efficient at sugar conversion to Lactic acid. Using 0.25g/kg. or less is enough to drop the pH by 0.1 point.

I have dialed the amounts of dextrose I use WAY BACK because of this. I made pepperoni recently and only used 0.75g./kg. dextrose along with 20ml chianti wine. The sugars from the paprika and cayenne contributed around 1g./kg. fast ferment sugars. The pH dropped to 4.97 after 48 hours....and I fermented this salami @69-70*F using F-RM-52.
redzed

Re: Dextrose, Fermentation and pH drop

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 03, 2022 05:51

Your conclusions are absolutely correct. Unfortunately many recipe books and on-line sources advise using excessive amounts of sugars in the fermentation process. 2-3g per kg is usually enough to take the pH to a safe level. However let's not forget to take a reading of the starting pH of the meat batter, before adding any spices and wine. Also fermenting in a warmer temp will reult in a slightly lower pH than in a cooler ferment. And of course we have to understand that pH is measured on a logarithmic scale, not a linear one. We had a discussion on this subject a little while ago. The topic is "Question about acifidication of dried sausage". It's pinned in the Microbiology of Meat and Products forum. http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... cd5a497f00
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Tue Oct 04, 2022 02:50

Thanks for the reply and directing me to that thread Redzed! All great points you made too!
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Tue Oct 04, 2022 02:58

@Redzed- have you used the SM-194 culture yet? It's like B-LC-007 without the Pediococcus Acidilactici bacteria. I like the flavor profile and the slower ferment...usually ferments @68*F to pH below 5.2 in 28-30 hours. Much slower than B-LC-007 or Flavor of Italy.