Starter Cultures - New member

JP85

Starter Cultures - New member

Post by JP85 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 22:18

Hello,

I am new a new member (spent lot’s of time reading posts as a guest) and I am about to try fermented sausage for the first time. I am from Saskatchewan, Canada. I am looking to start by making the Thuringer sausage from Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley Marianski.
I am looking at buying either Bactoferm T-SPX or LALCULT Protect SAX-01 from Testek in Quebec. At my place I feel like it would be easier to maintain the 18-24 C for 72 hours ( for the T-SPX) than to try get an place or area to maintain 35-42 C for 24 hours (for the SAX-01). I am wondering how much or what exactly it would affect if I switch the recipe to use the T-SPX? The original recipe calls for F-LC culture and to Ferment at 30º C (86º F) for 24 hours, 90-85% RH. I’m new to this and I’m not confident making changes unless I have an idea of the outcome.

I also am looking ahead and thinking I might try a dried Salami using Umai bags and I see that they use the T-SPX culture a lot in their recipes so I think I would use that more in the future.

Thanks
michi
User
User

Re: Starter Cultures - New member

Post by michi » Sat May 06, 2023 03:39

You’ll do just fine with T-SPX. It’s more important to stick to the right temperature for the culture. Which actual culture you use is secondary.
JP85

Re: Starter Cultures - New member

Post by JP85 » Fri May 12, 2023 16:27

Ok thanks a lot. I have since purchased the T-SPX so I am going to use that with the stated temperature for T-SPX.