Beginner question - so many choices

Freelance

Beginner question - so many choices

Post by Freelance » Tue Jan 11, 2022 19:44

Hi,
I've done some fair reading and research but still have some questions. This will be my first time making fermented and dry-cured sausages.

I've built my curring chamber from a new full-size fridge with temp and humidity controllers so for that I'm confident that it will work fine.
I have some previous experience with making fresh sausages so mixing and stuffing should be OK also.
Was recently traveling to the US so I managed to "import" some Cure #1 and Cure #2 so that is also in order.

I'm from Europe and am able to acquire the below sausage cultures for a fair cost so I actually ordered each of them.
SafePro® B-LC-007
SafePro® Flora Italia LC
SafePro® F-LC 
Bactoferm® T-SPX 

I understand that all of these can be used for the same type of sausages with some variations on fermentation time like the B-LC-007 having the shortest, but i don't understand the other variations and what would be the best choice for which type of sausage.

I want to make Spanish-style Fuet and wonder which of these cultures is most suitable. Of course, I also have the Mold-600 for the casing.
Furthermore, is there any guide on which culture is best for which type of product? I've seen people using the same culture for various products and this can differ based on the maker.

Also, is it safe to use PH stripes for initial reading? I have food-grade PH stripes that can show variations between 0-6.

One last question, I'll be also making some coppa and bresaola and for those, i have the SafePro® EasyCure LC culture. I cannot find much reading on this one but maybe some similar exist under a different name. The SafePro® EasyCure LC have 4 different strains, Debaryomyces hansenii
, Staphylococcus carnosus, Lactobacillus curvatus & Staphylococcus vitulinus.
Have someone used these types of culture for whole muscles curring like coppa and bresaola?

Lorenzoid
User
User

Re: Beginner question - so many choices

Post by Lorenzoid » Sat Jan 15, 2022 23:55

First, welcome to WD and to the hobby!

I'm relatively new to the hobby, too, and which culture to use for what kind of sausage is something I have yet to understand. I use whatever the recipe calls for. But I have seen the same thing you mention--different recipes for a similar sausage calling for different cultures.

Virtually no one uses cultures for curing whole muscle cuts like coppa and bresaola, except for surface mold (e.g., Mold-600). That said, I recall reading some discussion of it. It's absolutely not necessary.
Freelance

Post by Freelance » Sun Jan 16, 2022 17:10

Thanks, i'll guess i'll just have to start and learn. This forum is amazing with so much useful info.
I will be visiting the butcher next week and revert with some progress report once I start making.
Will make two coppas, once without culture and one with SafePro® EasyCure LC so to compare for the future.
I'll most likely cold smoke the coppa that is cured without culture and on the other i'll apply the M600.

For the sausages, i think I'll start with Flora Italia LC and test the rest later down the road.

Right now I just need to decide on what to make first.
Fuet and Coppa are my favorites on the charcuterie board, pancetta and bresaola will be added as well.

What is the most foolproof beginner's sausage to start with?
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Mon Jan 17, 2022 04:36

There are more experienced people here that know more than I, but I will share what I know.

Flora Italia LC is a fast culture and will drop the pH below 5.3 in less than 48 hours, usually closer to 30 hours. It contains bio-protective cultures that produce antibiotics that protect against lysteria and other pathogens. It also contains Sub species of Staphylococcus Carnosus that can work at flavor formation below pH5. So you get the protection of fast fermentation, but don't sacrifice flavor development. This culture came onto the scene after MArianski's book The Art of Making Fermented Sausages was in print. Uses dextrose, slow to utilize sucrose.

B-LC-007 contains 5 different strains and is a touchy culture to work with. a small increase in temp. and the pH drop can be very fast. versatile sugars.

FLC is a fast culture, but is also versatile. It can be used at low temps. 64-70*F for a traditional Mediterranean flavor profile, or at high temps. 85-100*F for American style tangy pepperoni and summer sausages. Use dextrose.

T-SPX is a slow culture for traditional southern European style salami like calabrian, Napoli, Finocchiona, etc....sucrose recommended.
Freelance

Post by Freelance » Sun Feb 13, 2022 16:45

So I just did my first ferment sausage according to the 2guys recipe for saucisson sec.

I wanted to try a mix of T-SPX and SafePro® EasyCure LC , similar to B-LC-007 but without the Pediococcus acidilactici which is considered as "fast fermentation" and with the addition of Staphylococcus vitulinus for more flavor i hope, equal parts 0.25 g per KG

In the 2guys recipe, they use Flora Italia which does have the Pediococcus acidilactici.

To my question, I still have to get the PH meter so I did not measure the PH after fermentation.

I used dextrose 2.5 g per KG meat, the white wine I used is very low on sugar so I did not expect much sugar addition from the wine.

The temp in the fermentation chamber was around 75F and humidity was around 93%, i took the sausage out after 24 hours.
The sample color was somewhat pale but i did had 30% fat and pork shoulder which was pale to start with. The texture seemed fine according to the videos I could see on the 2guys youtube channel, the sample felt joint together with a light rubbery feeling, the smell was very lightly tangy.
I've read that sugar is the only regulator for the PH and the time does not really matter.

Without having a PH meter, (it's on my shopping list), are there other ways to test the sample for fermentation signs?

My only concern was the color of the sample, felt a bit pale, also the sausage is now pale from the outside but that might be due to the casing, I used beef middles 55 mm, the M 600 mold is starting to grow now after 48 hours.

Has anybody tried mixes of different starter cultures?

Hope to revert with tasting results after 60 days :)