Porcine Myology

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Porcine Myology

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 05:52

One of the slickest presentations I`ve ever seen, has been provided free of charge to us by the University Of Nebraska in Lincoln, Nebraska. These folks take their meats seriously and share their technology. Be sure to check out the following website. I`ve got it set to come up on the ham page but I`m sure you`ll also wish to click on the home page as well. Poke around and learn how to use the slides and rotations. You`ll be amazed at the technology here and refer to it often. Thanks Nebraska!

http://porcine.unl.edu/porcine2005/page ... mal&hs=Ham

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Jun 25, 2011 15:26

Thanks for link Chuckwagon. That is a very educational site for me. After looking at the cross section of the mid section of the pig I wonder why we wouldn't make a belly bacon that uses the loin section as well. I think the lean and fat portions together in a cast iron skillet would be a wonderful marriage :lol:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 25, 2011 17:16

Make Canadian bacon from the loin. I am in a hurry to get Mr. Marianski's book on curing meat and smokehouse design.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 25, 2011 18:38

I am sure that with enough experience we can make any combination of cuts into rolled bacon. I recall seeing a boneless shoulder cured and wrapped in the skin and laced up and smoked.
Ross- tightwad home cook