A cold shower

story28
Passionate
Passionate

A cold shower

Post by story28 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 18:29

Within several of Mr. Marianski's books, he recommends giving a cold shower to a recently cooked sausages that are intended for storage He gives a few reasons why this is beneficial. One is that it prevents the sausage from shriveling. Is that because dropping the temperature quickly prevents moisture from evaporating from the surface? Perhaps there is another reason?
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Aug 08, 2011 18:35

While I don;t know for sure, I would guess a good reason would be so you don't overcook the sausage and break the fat. If you remove the sausage from the heat, the meat will continue to cook...carry over.

Dave
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 21:27

The reason why we put cooked/smoked sausage into a cold water bath is as you say Dave is to stop the cooking process. We usually leave in water until they start to sink [a sure sign that the internal temperature is dropping]. You should also hang the sausage up over the sink area and hose down with hot/scalding water, the reason for this is to put the bloom [?] back into the sausage in other words it takes the wrinkles out of the casings and plump's them up ---- sought ov makes them look pritty. :lol:

HTH
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 22:32

Hi guys
The first thing all salami makers are looking for is a quality taste in our product. Eventually we take pride in our salamis/sausages making and look for a good clean finished product, with a good mouth (smooth texture) feel. Salami makers are like any other profession; we take pride in our product. So long story short, yes cooling the product is too prevent further cooking.
On another note, my thoughts are too create a nice finished product; it starts at the end of the stuffing process, before going into the smoker. The stuffed cooked salami should hang a couple of hours to dry at room temperature, before going into the smoker. When in the smoker, preheated at a low temp 100 - 110 degrees and then a slow gradual increase in temperature 10 degrees every 30 min, is typically what I will do, until I reach my set point temp. When salamis are done, a cold water bath, so to drop the temp down to 100 degrees, then hang to bloom for a couple of hours and the salami should have a nice smooth finish.
If the salami does have a wrinkle texture after cooking, some folks after the "cold bath" will drop the salami into a hot water bath, no hotter than 160 degrees for only a few seconds and then back to a cold water bath.
Remember the above information is for fully cooked/smoked salami.

Chow
Uwanna
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 22:36

I wonder why the sausagemaker wouldn't pull the sausages out prior to allow for carryover. By submerging sausages until they sink allow water to enter through the pores of the casing?

I have heard of the hot shower technique to allow for fats to migrate towards the surface to give the bloom you mention, but I thought that was preceded by the initial cold shower and then followed by yet another cold shower.

Thanks for the input :smile:
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 23:02

story28 wrote:I wonder why the sausagemaker wouldn't pull the sausages out prior to allow for carryover.
Dose not work that way, if it did we would be pushing the limit on everything we do. Carryover heat can and will last upwards of an hour plus, we cook hamd to an internal temp of 155 F. open the doors and let sit for an hour or so. Internal tops out at 165 where we need it. Using carryover cooking is bad unles you know what you are doing, under cook something and you can kill someone. :cry:
By submerging sausages until they sink allow water to enter through the pores of the casing?
No that an old wives tale, you do lose some of the smoke colour but we compensate for that while smoking.
I have heard of the hot shower technique to allow for fats to migrate towards the surface to give the bloom you mention,
True, but you don't need to follow what the big fellows do, they have there reasons. :wink:
but I thought that was preceded by the initial cold shower and then followed by yet another cold shower.
You have to remember that every thing the big fellows do is all about money, the way I was tought was all about quality, first and formost and after that the money will follow :lol:
Thanks for the input :smile:
Glad to help. :smile: