Fresh Polish - garlic and color

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Mar 07, 2014 16:51

" Leaving fresh sausage out for that long invites spoilage and dries and hardens the casings."

I agree with Chris, leaving sausage sit at room temp goes against common sense. I always figure flavors can "marry" once they are inside a casing and refrigerated. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
jscarbo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jscarbo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 16:24

I agree about leaving the sausage out at room temperature but have seen other recipes that call for leaving cased sausages at room temperature for shorter times before bagging them and assumed it was to allow the casings to dry. I've been putting mine on the top shelf of the refrigerator, uncovered , while I clean up then wrapping and bagging them.

I also appreciate the tip about nutmeg. I made brats as one of my first sausages a couple of weeks ago. Even though it called for fresh nutmeg, I used ground nutmeg because I was concerned about having too much nutmeg flavor.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Mar 08, 2014 17:59

jscarbo wrote:I also appreciate the tip about nutmeg. I made brats as one of my first sausages a couple of weeks ago. Even though it called for fresh nutmeg, I used ground nutmeg because I was concerned about having too much nutmeg flavor.
Me too. Last week the neighbor's 2 dogs got 5 lbs of fresh sausage because of too much nutmeg.